Planning a one-to-one 90m lesson

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

Alex995

Planning a one-to-one 90m lesson

Unread post by Alex995 » 17 Aug 2017, 23:08

I recently completed a CELTA course and have been applying for jobs. One employer got back to me and I now have a scheduled interview. They ask for a lesson plan to be submitted. As you can guess by the title, it's a one-to-one lesson, the teaching point is grammar (such as going to vs. will) and it has to be 90 minutes.

"90-minute one-to-one lesson that will incorporate one of the following grammar points (please adjust the level accordingly). It is NOT the first lesson with the student"

On my Celta course I have only done 40m lessons, each one having a different teaching point. I'm therefore a bit confused about staging a 90 minute one, and was hoping I can receive some guidance.

Thank you

Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Planning a one-to-one 90m lesson

Unread post by Susan » 18 Aug 2017, 16:04

Hi,

As it is not the first time the students have studied the grammar point, you should aim to have them using the language early in the lesson; have them using it in a speaking exercise; the practice part should be longer than the presentation/revision.

The interviewers know that you are new and are not looking for a perfect lesson plan; it just needs to be good enough and show what you learnt on your course.

Susan
Lucy Pollard's Guide to Teaching English

kdammers

Re: Planning a one-to-one 90m lesson

Unread post by kdammers » 16 Aug 2018, 19:15

I know this is too late for the original poster, but here is my tip any-way.

For most minds, including adults', ninety minutes is too long to sit or do mental work in general -- unless there is a break. So, I would build in a break (and a review where the grammar is reviewed in a different, applied way).