Is this a proper straight arrow ESA lesson?

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

tseitejw

Is this a proper straight arrow ESA lesson?

Unread post by tseitejw »

The objective is to teach one usage of the present continuous tense to pre-intermediate level adults.

Procedure 1: Ask students what they like to do in their free time. Write verb of activity on the board.
Phase: Engage

Procedure 2: Write an 'ing' on the board. Mime out activities and have students guess what I'm doing using the verb and 'ing'.
Phase: Engage

Procedure 3: Write affirmative present continuous tense on the board.(subject + aux verb + verb'ing'). Use example: I am teaching a class.
Phase: Study

Procedure 4: Use the words on the board to have students say them using present continuous tense. I will write down (I am/He is/She is/You are/and We are). Put up drawing on the board that represent (I am/He is/She is/You are/We are). Point to one drawing at a time and have students say the appropriate subject, auxiliary verb, and verb + ing.

Procedure 5: Hand out a gap fill worksheet with accompanying drawing of people doing activities. It will show I/You/We/She/He ____verb___. Students would fill in the auxiliary verb and 'ing'.

Procedure 6: Form students into pairs and have each pair take 10 laminated strips of paper containing a verb. Have one student mime 5 of the verbs, with the other student guessing using present continuous tense. When the student guesses correctly, the student miming will say "I am (verb'ing'). Students will switch roles after 5 strips

Procedure 7: Have pairs go to the front of the class in turns, miming an activity together. Have students guess (they are verb'ing'). When a guess is correct the pair says (We are verb'ing').
Phase: Activate
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Is this a proper straight arrow ESA lesson?

Unread post by Susan »

I think 6 is activate.

Susan
tseitejw

Unread post by tseitejw »

The following is the lesson plan I submit and a list of things I need to fix to pass the TEFL. Can you make better sense of what exactly he's telling me I need to do, especially in the study stage?

Class level: Pre-Intermediate Adults
Room: N/A
Expected number: 12
Language points: Affirmative form of present continuous
Teaching aids: Worksheets, laminated paper strips, drawings, whiteboard, marker, video
Learner objectives:
For the students to be able to read, write, and speak in present continuous form.
Personal aims:
Talk less and elicit more information. Increase student talk time. Get students thinking in English by eliciting language from them.
Anticipated problems for students:
1. Some students could have a lower skill level than others. 2. Some may be shy in front of the class. 3. Students may struggle to understand the different between present simple and present continuous.
Anticipated problems for teachers:
1. The material could be completed early.
Solutions:
1. Pair strong students with weak students. 2. Allow students to choose which from their pair goes to the front of the class. 3. Give a short overview on the board of the difference between present simple and present continuous if students seem confused.
Solutions:
1. Play a scene from a movie and have students say what the characters are doing using present continuous form.
Procedure
Phase
Timing
Interaction
Ask students what they like to do in their free time. Write verb of activity on the board.
Engage
3 minutes
T-S
Write an 'ing' on the board. Mime out activities and have students guess what I'm doing using the verb and 'ing'.
Engage
8 minutes
T-S
Write affirmative present continuous tense on the board.(subject + aux verb + verb'ing'). Use example: I am teaching a class. Use the words on the board to have students say them using present continuous tense. I will write down (I am/He is/She is/You are/and We are). Put up drawings on the board that represent (I am/He is/She is/You are/We are). Point to one drawing at a time and have students say the appropriate subject, auxiliary verb, and verb + ing.
Study
7 minutes
T-S
Get students in pairs and hand out a gap fill worksheet with accompanying drawing of people doing activities. It will show I/You/We/She/He ____verb___. Students would fill in the auxiliary verb and 'ing'.
Study
10 minutes
S-S
Write a large list of state and action verbs on the board. Go to each word and have students decide whether or not it can be used in present continuous form. Circle the correct answers (only action verbs).
Study
5 minutes
T-S
Get students in pairs and hand out a multiple choice worksheet, where students are to choose the answer that is present continuous form. Example: a. Will be going b. Is going c. Will go
Study
10 minutes
S-S
Have each pair of students take 10 laminated strips of paper containing a verb. Have one student mime 5 of the verbs, with the other student guessing using present continuous tense. When the student guesses correctly, the student miming will say "I am (verb'ing'). Students will switch roles after 5 strips.
Study
7 minutes
S-S
Have one student from each pair go to the front of the class in turns, miming three activities he or she enjoys. Have students guess (he/she is verb'ing'). When a guess is correct the pair says (We are verb'ing').
Activate
10 minutes
S-S

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Learner Objectives
1.      Your learner objectives should state the usage of the present continuous you are covering in your lesson.

Engage Stage
2.      This stage is fine. No corrections needed.

Study Stage
3.      You need to make sure that you are focusing on the lesson objective in the study stage.

4.      As the task requires you to focus on a single usage of the present continuous you need to make sure that you cover this usage in detail in your Study stage.

5.      You should start the study by trying to elicit example sentences in keeping with the usage you have decided to cover, the structure of the present continuous and the usage itself. Please refer to unit 3 where elicitation techniques were covered.

6.      All the information you are eliciting (example sentences, usage, structure) should be included in your lesson plan procedure - this would essentially be your ‘board work’. As a lesson plan should be considered a working document that could be used by a replacement teacher in case you were unable to teach a lesson, it’s important that these sorts of details are included.

7.      Once you have elicited as much as you can, you can then follow up with clarification of the lesson point with further examples to ensure the students understand the grammar point if needed but the focus should be on eliciting the information from the students first.

Worksheets/Exercises
8.      Bear in mind that the worksheets you give the students should check their understanding of the tense with regard to the one usage you should be covering in the lesson.

Activate Stage
9.      In this stage of the lesson the students should be producing present continuous sentences in keeping with the usage you are covering in the Study stage.

10.   As you have not mentioned which usage you are covering in the Study stage it is difficult to assess the effectiveness of this activity with regard to that usage.

11.   You have also only allowed 10 minutes for the Activate stage, which is not really long enough. In a one hour lesson about 15 to 20 minutes is usually appropriate for the Activate stage given that the students will be using the language spontaneously and independently.
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

Your major error here is not stating which use of the present continuous you are focusing on. The assessor says that this omission makes it difficult to see whether the aims are achieved or not.

First of all, sort that out. That covers comments numbered: 1 3 4 5 8 9 and 10

I think comments 6 7 and 11 are self explanatory.

The idea of an assessed lesson is to test your knowledge. Your handling of the comments further illustrates what you have learnt. I can only give you guidance. Answering the question for you would be unfair and is against the rules of this forum. If you have other doubts or questions, I'm happy to guide you without giving you the answer.

Lucy