New Volunteer Teacher in Madagascar seeks ideas

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

brianschild

New Volunteer Teacher in Madagascar seeks ideas

Unread post by brianschild »

Hello, my name is Brian.
I will be a volunteer teacher for the adult Malagasy guards and custodial staff wishing to learn English at the American school here. The students are at beginning levels and I believe the emphasis will be on conversation. There may be as many as forty ELL's, coming on their own time. A fouth grade teacher offered a classroom and the school will let me have limited use of a photo copy machine. I am new to the field of language acuisition and am seeking the wisdom of the members of this forum for ideas pertaining to this subject for help. The class will meet three times a week. I have three "Practice Makes Perfect" guide books as well as internet access (e.how and tefl.net) to help me get started on sllybus and lesson planning. I have no training except for volunteer hours tudoring English at the Spanish Center to adults in Milwaukee years ago. Since I have limited resources and little to no experience, I am seeking help from anyoneone with ideas to creatively make this work. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Many thanks.
Brian
Last edited by Joe on 18 Sep 2012, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: expand subject line
MarkTeacher

Re: New Volunteer Teacher in Madagascar seeks ideas

Unread post by MarkTeacher »

Hi Brian,

Above all, I think it is critical you be yourself and not try to be someone you aren't.

Also, it's important to make the classes fun and if possible interesting. I appreciate this is more complicated in groups usually than one on one.

All the best. Mark
English classes via Skype with native teachers, free trial: http://www.clasesinglesonline.com