Trying to devise an English teaching plan

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

TeachingRook

Trying to devise an English teaching plan

Unread post by TeachingRook »

I work in energy sector and my job requires me to work for two weeks straight and then I am off for two weeks. My English skills are generally better than my colleagues and I've been thinking of teaching them English out of working hours.

Some things are pretty clear in advance:
1) During my working shift, I can hold at most 7-12 sessions for my provisional students and only for those who have the same shift as me.
2) Traditional methods of teaching English will not quite work for these people for a variety of reasons: They're adults and they're busy people. They don't have enough time to study heavily when they get back home and not studying for two weeks seriously limits their ability to develop their language skills.
3) For starters, I was thinking of teaching to only one or two students so I can test and optimize my methods and get experience in teaching English.

I am trying to devise a plan which suits the needs of working adults in today's energy sector (or business or general communication). I want them to improve no matter what their current level is and -if possible- I want them to "learn" something in just two weeks, so if they decide not to continue, at least their English gets just a little bit better.

Any idea/suggestion to help me put together a good plan or obtain suitable teaching material is highly appreciated.

Thank you all and thanks for this great forum.
TeachingRook

Re: Trying to devise an English teaching plan

Unread post by TeachingRook »

I am sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place. I am new to these forums. Should I have posted this in Help Desk forum?