Giving feedback on writing

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

JohnHey

Giving feedback on writing

Unread post by JohnHey »

I am teaching a business English course which includes students having to write short texts (e.g. an email) of around 200 words.

Aside from marking errors, I try to give students feedback. The problem is I have quickly run out of things to say beyond "good vocabulary", well set out" or simply "well done".

These are not very advanced students and it's not as if they are putting much originality into their assignments. But I do want to encourage them and not just give them the same anodine comments week after week.

Any ideas (or off-the-peg comments!) welcomed.

John
SGreene

Re: Giving feedback on writing

Unread post by SGreene »

Hi John,

I know what you mean about running out of things to say. Sometimes you need to change things just for the sake of your own sanity!

Try something like the following;

'This is a good/great/excellent piece of writing that communicates your message effectively. I particulalry liked your use of grammar/1st conditional/vocabulary... You could improve your writing by focussing on vocabulary/spelling/register... I look forward to reading much more from you in the future.'

I can play around with this and tailor it to meet the needs of the student and respond specifically to what they have written.

I hope this helps.

Stephen Greene
http://www.tmenglish.org
Last edited by Joe on 13 Jan 2012, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo