Been asked to assist with improving English for an 18 year old

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

JonCooke14

Been asked to assist with improving English for an 18 year old

Unread post by JonCooke14 »

Good Morning All - I am new to this forum but am hopeful that somebody on here will be able to point me in the right direction!

I live in Uganda and the 18 year-old daughter of an Indian friend of mine will be going to University in Canada (to study Business Studies) in September. She already has good spoken English and quite good written English but they have asked me if I can assist her with improving particularly the written English to try and ensure better grades with Uni essays and assignments.

I am confident that I can give 'pointers' as to how to improve but, having never actually 'taught' before, I am lacking in confidence in how to actually teach her in order to have a lasting benefit.

My main question is where can I access resources which will give me the confidence to teach her?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Jonathan
Regan@O2C

Re: Been asked to assist with improving English for an 18 year old

Unread post by Regan@O2C »

Hey!
SO I totally understand that teaching older students can be a bit more difficult. First things first, do a diagnostic lesson to see what level the student is at. Use grammar sheets and questions for K-5 learning to get a bit more of an understanding of the student’s skills.
Also check out some lessons here:
https://www.off2class.com/lesson-plan-downloads/

Many are actually meant for teaching more mature students ESL. So you can even start as simple as teaching the alphabet then move onto something like idioms or the history of Google. All the lessons in the link above are free and you can make a free account for more tips to help you. I hope these resources help! When in doubt find out what the student likes and plan a speaking and writing lesson around it!
Good luck! I am here to answer any more questions as well.
Jamal

Unread post by Jamal »

Learning English doesn’t always have to mean sitting in the classroom and studying tricky grammar. In fact, English language teachers encourage you to do plenty of extra learning outside of school. There are a number of ways to improve your understanding of the language, many of which can actually be a lot of fun.

It’s also a well-known fact that different people respond to different learning methods. Sometimes simply sitting in the classroom or reading a course book is not right for you. It can be beneficial to do some additional work.
didofoc

Unread post by didofoc »

I'm a student and I can advise you to prepare your student for academic writing, check grammar once again to get rid of the most obvious and most common mistakes. It's great that she already has good spoken English, because the bigger part of work is already done.