Help and advice needed please!

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

Annakate

Help and advice needed please!

Unread post by Annakate »

Hi all, your help, advice, and guidance is needed please!
I've just completed my 120 hours TEFL course. I have a L5 Diploma in Education and Training, and a BA Hons Degree. I have been teaching Health and Social Care in FE for 4+ years. I am now hoping to start teaching English to adults online, ideally in some connected area, but this is not vital.
I have no idea what to do now!
Should I: update my CV, my LinkedIn profile, and start applying for jobs with adults...or do I need to create a website?
What would you think might be the best place to start securing work.....I feel nervous, and overwhelmed if I'm honest, and it seems a bit of a minefield....any advice most welcomed!
Thank you
Gold

Re: Help and advice needed please!

Unread post by Gold »

I think creating a website is ok, a friend of mine is currently working on an educational website. Have a look at https://aseiclass.com
22englishsam

Unread post by 22englishsam »

I think if this is your first time teaching English online, I would reccomend using one of the online platforms first (such as Cambly). If you don't have a lot of experience it might be hard to attract students as an independent online teacher. With these platforms you don't have control over your pay rates, but you will save yourself a lot of time marketing, organising and promoting yourself.
Annakate

Unread post by Annakate »

Thank you for your reply, thats really helpful, and chimes with what I think I was going to do....so that decides that! Thank you
Trishw

Unread post by Trishw »

22englishsam - Hi, you mention Cambly but are there any other online platforms one can apply to when one is still learning the ropes having just received their qualifications. Thanking you in advance :)
22englishsam

If you want to teach kids: Cambly kids, VIPKids, Magic Ears, Whales English and Zebra English.

If you want to teach adults: Cambly, English First, Preply, Italki.

All of these sites have different requirements for nationality, hours, qualifications etc. So it's worth googling each one and see which one meets your needs. :D
Trishw

Unread post by Trishw »

Thank you kindly 22englishsam for your guidance, will do my homework and look into the one's you have suggested :) Have a super day further:)
22englishsam

You too - I hope you find the best option for you :)