What can I do to improve my grammar?

English grammar and usage issues

Moderator: Joe

oneota
Rising Star

Re: What can I do to improve my grammar?

Unread post by oneota »

Greetings:

I can recommend four resources in particular. One is https://owl.purdue.edu/. This portal gives advice on lots of individual grammar topics and also has exercises to match. The other is a book: English for Everyone. This book is also available for free online. The book goes through individual topics (e.g., the passive) from the basics to advanced material before moving on to the next topic. In addition, it has worksheets at https://englishforeveryone.org/.

If you looking for British grammar, englisch-hilfen.de has both explanations and exercises. On the other hand, if you prefer American grammar and a lighter tone, Betty Azar has a series of very approachable grammar books going from beginner through advanced. I think there are three levels (thought it might be four). The books are in pairs, textbook and workbook. I have found that, at least for me as a teacher, the workbooks have enough material that my students don't need to have the textbook as well.
oneota
Rising Star

Unread post by oneota »

I just thought of another book you might consider: Erica L. Meltzer's The Ultimate Guide to SAT Grammar. It has a somewhat chatty tone. It covers the basics but also more advanced topics. If you do buy this book, be sure to get the errata list (I think it's at Meltzer's home-page). And note the following: On p. 190, "insect world" should be replaced by something like "world of small animals" and "insects" by "invertebrates." On p. 175, "a old woman" should be "an old woman." On p. 150, "her in a classical ballet class" should not be underlined. On p. 149, "allows spiders" should be "allow spiders."
LarryStay

Unread post by LarryStay »

I personally can recommend English Grammar In Use by Murphy. It is a good book where the grammar rules with the exercises are collected. My students love this book.
AlisonAM

Unread post by AlisonAM »

I think that a good grammar book is the answer Raymond Murphy's English Grammar in Use is now available as a E book so it also includes pronunciation!
didofoc

Unread post by didofoc »

I use Grammarly when writing papers for college and it helps me learn grammar faster.
johnkent21

Unread post by johnkent21 »

Reading is one of the simplest, most efficient, and entertaining ways to increase your command of grammar and punctuation. Pay attention to grammar rules whatever you read. Where are the commas used by these authors? When and when do they punctuate sentences, phrases, or ideas? How do they format large sentences, quotations, or lists? When writing, make use of the structures you encounter in your reading as models. The more you read, the easier it will be for you to spot and use good grammar and punctuation.
vallery32

Unread post by vallery32 »

Reading books, articles, and well-written content exposes you to correct grammar usage. Pay attention to how sentences are structured, how punctuation is used, and how different grammatical rules are applied.
vallery32

Unread post by vallery32 »

To enhance your grammar, start by utilizing online resources like grammar tutorials, grammar checkers, and style guides. Practice writing regularly and proofread your work thoroughly. Additionally, seeking guidance from professional sop writers could be beneficial. They are experts in language and can provide valuable insights. Engage in peer editing or join writing communities to receive constructive feedback. Lastly, read extensively to expose yourself to different writing styles and sentence structures. Consistent effort and continuous learning will lead to significant improvements in your grammar skills.
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

vallery32 wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 13:35 To enhance your grammar, start by utilizing online resources like grammar tutorials, grammar checkers, and style guides. Practice writing regularly and proofread your work thoroughly. Additionally, seeking guidance from professional sop writers could be beneficial. They are experts in language and can provide valuable insights. Engage in peer editing or join writing communities to receive constructive feedback. Lastly, read extensively to expose yourself to different writing styles and sentence structures. Consistent effort and continuous learning will lead to significant improvements in your grammar skills.
What are "sop writers"?
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
leon99
Rising Star

Unread post by leon99 »

Thank you for sharing these valuable resources for English grammar and language learning. These are excellent recommendations, and they offer a variety of options for learners at different levels and preferences, whether they're looking for British or American English resources.