Present perfect + before!!!

English grammar and usage issues

Moderator: Joe

michigain87

Present perfect + before!!!

Unread post by michigain87 »

Hi could someone help me with this sentence please

" He's never appeared in a film before "

Does this mean that the person in NOW staring in a film at the moment, that it is his very first film.

I need to teach the use of present perfect + before to a first certificate class and dont feel so confident about this sentence.

Thanks
Last edited by michigain87 on 10 Feb 2021, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
Admin

Re: Present perfect + before!!!

Unread post by Joe »

michigain87 wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 12:13 Hi could someone help me with this sentence please

Does this mean that the person in NOW starring in a film at the moment, that it is his very first film.

I need to teach the use of present perfect + before to a first certificate class and dont feel so confident about this sentence.

Thanks
Yes, it is his very first film.

Vocabulary note:
appear in a film (could be big or small part)
star in a film (only the main actors star)
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
TheNightBeak
Rising Star

Re: Present perfect + before!!!

Unread post by TheNightBeak »

michigain87 wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 12:13 Hi could someone help me with this sentence please

Does this mean that the person in NOW staring in a film at the moment, that it is his very first film.

The 'now' is missing from the end - think of it that way.

'he's never appeared in a film before now'

(it's dropped because it's self-evident)