Difference between past and present tense

English grammar and usage issues

Moderator: Joe

xhfsk

Difference between past and present tense

Unread post by xhfsk »

Hey TEFL community!
I am a prospective teacher and I have made an account here because I think it is a great forum and could probably use some help in the near future

I have a demo class that I need preparing for and I know the topic sounds simple enough but there are just so many examples (such as questions or an event or something) that I just can't seem to narrow it down as to what content to actually teach.

The lesson plan is to be for a 15 - 20 minutes class and the topic is the difference between the past and present tense for lower intermediate levels. It is to be a controlled practice lesson which, to my understanding, means to elicit material rather than to teach it?

I really want to get this job but as you can see I don't actually have much experience with lesson planning.
So please help me get the ball rolling here, any suggestions for content or a structure would be much appreciated guys thank you.
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Difference between past and present tense

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi,

I just want to reply to your comment:

"It is to be a controlled practice lesson which, to my understanding, means to elicit material rather than to teach it?"

A controlled practice lesson involves students using the targt language in a controlled or limited way. The technique of eliciting is used when presenting new language or revising language previously taught.

I suggest you pick up a lower intermediate text book and use that as a basis for your lesson. That'll be easier and quicker than creating your own lesson.

Lucy
xhfsk

Re: Difference between past and present tense

Unread post by xhfsk »

Thanks babesy