Questionnaire: How can video games improve foreign language skills?

Ideas, tips, discussion

Moderator: Joe

Aschofield

Questionnaire: How can video games improve foreign language skills?

Unread post by Aschofield »

Hello

I am a student at the University of Surrey, and I am currently writing a dissertation about MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games) in language learning. Even if you don't play video games, it would be really useful for me to find out how ESL teachers feel about video games being used to learn languages, whether it be at home or in a classroom setting.

https://forms.gle/kRZfZeEC4hyaVQSP8

It should only take a few minutes.

Thanks,

Adam
oneota
Rising Star

Re: Questionnaire: How can video games improve foreign language skills?

Unread post by oneota »

I'm in Kazakhstan on Windows 7/chrome, and Your page does not open.
Aschofield

Unread post by Aschofield »

That's strange, does it come up with an error message or does it simply just not load?
azgrace331

Unread post by azgrace331 »

Hi! I'll be filling out the survey right now, I'm actually really glad you mentioned this because as much as I knew technology use within the classroom can be helpful to improve one's educational journey I guess I never realized that Tech. meant more than just the intret but as well the tools given that we can use. Video games is such a great way to promote engagement with young minds, it's already a concept they enjoy and spend a mass amount of time around so being able to turn something that your student demgrpahic finds enjoyable into a core concept lesson would be amazing and helpful to both the teacher and student in the long run. Thanks for bringing the idea to light hope your research comes out with what you're looking for!
smnthzlg

Unread post by smnthzlg »

Done! Good luck with your dissertation!
oneota
Rising Star

Unread post by oneota »

Aschofield wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 11:54 That's strange, does it come up with an error message or does it simply just not load?
It simply doesn't load. (I hadn't seen Your reply because of all the China-scam stuff.)
Theove

Unread post by Theove »

Ready! I think this is a good idea. As with other hobbies like books and movies, games can subtly force you to study, at least just because you are interested in the game.
Marinehendy

Unread post by Marinehendy »

Personally, in my opinion games can help with the study of foreign languages, but only if it is not used very complicated lines, which is difficult to perceive by ear without much experience. Well, as well as on the subtitles there is a good way to learn a foreign language. In general, the game may indeed be suitable for this, but we are all well aware that when you are immersed in the story the game is very difficult for you to think about what you play to learn a language:)