Terrific New Vocabulary Game Site

Ideas, tips, discussion

Moderator: Joe

ergonacad

Terrific New Vocabulary Game Site

Unread post by ergonacad »

I have discovered an incredibly good website for helping students practice vocabulary in a fun game format: http://www.vocabulary.co.il

There are six games for students, and the vocabulary for the games is broken down into categories. So whether you are studying compound words, baby animals, bodies of water, or dinosaurs, you can find a category for your subject. There is a category listing on the site, so teachers can pick and choose the category they want students to practice with the fun learning games. And there are categories for every grade and skill level. Plus, the games let you choose your skill level as well. Terrific idea for ESL or just classroom practice. Hope you get a chance to check it out!
sandranelson1968

Re: Terrific New Vocabulary Game Site

Unread post by sandranelson1968 »

I count twelve games. The slang game, which I just discovered from this forum, is amazing.

My second favorite is HangMouse followed by CrossWord, MatchIt, SAT Vocabulary.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Vocabulary building is of course one of the most essential parts of learning any language. The old-fashioned way of just learning lists of new words is certainly passé. All interactive games should be encouraged in the classroom although this is very difficult to instigate in Thailand.

The very best way to learn vocab is through context, and this is where games come into force. The use of dictionaries is also essential, as well as teaching students how to use them correctly to avoid choosing the wrong definition.

An excellent dictionary software is the Ultralinua dictionary which includes hundreds of examples of language in use for many language pairs. It also has an interesting flashcard feature.
jeffreyrod

Unread post by jeffreyrod »

Hi,
Wow, that website is absolutely awesome! The games were really fun and I honestly think I will use them in my future teaching career. That's what so awesome about the internet, there so much stuff you can find on there, the possiblities are almost limitless. I have a few websites in my repertoire:
http://www.eslgame.com/
the games on this site are a bit old and graphically lacking but still, you can find some interesting things.

http://iteslj.org/c/games.html
This one is about games ideas, you can't actually play nothing online, but there aresome very interesting ideas to work with!
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Yes, as I said before, there are many ways to increase vocabulary that are far more efficient than the lists we had to learn by heart at school 40 or 50 years ago.

If you are fortunate enough to own an iPod or a smart phone of almost any kind, the Ultralinua dictionary software mentioned above is now available for those too, so you can practice while on the go.
DouglasDr

Unread post by DouglasDr »

My partner and i count a dozen games. Your slang game, i merely found out with this community, can be amazing.

My personal next preferred can be HangMouse and then CrossWord, MatchIt, SAT Language.
DouglasDr

Unread post by DouglasDr »

DouglasDr wrote:My partner and i count a dozen games. Your slang game, i merely found out with this community, can be amazing.

My personal next preferred can be HangMouse and then CrossWord, MatchIt, SAT Language.

www.pass4-sure.ws

andrewberlin

Unread post by andrewberlin »

If you're looking for non web based vocabulary games, more suited to adult learners, I have put together a collection on this page: http://eslgames.com/vocabulary-games/