payment/living costs in Italy

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

The Botanist

payment/living costs in Italy

Unread post by The Botanist »

Hello

I'm an experienced teacher, a decade in Germany mostly teaching Business English. I want to teach elsewhere as Germany is mostly only freelance and you basically have to work full 8-12 hour shifts to pay the bills.

I speak Italian so am thinking about going to Italy, advantage is you seem to get a contract, disadvantage is most job ads list a 1100-1300 Eur/month salary. I really don't want to share a flat at my age but studios seem thin on the ground, and my own flat would apparently be 600-800 Euros/month.

If any teacher anons have experience, how much would realistically be left from about 1200 Euros, after tax, after mandatory social contributions etc? And how realistic is it to be able to get private lessons to supplement the result?

I can survive on relatively little money but feel too old to live in a tiny room with 21-year-olds who want to party and have fun, so I would need to find a way to pay for my own flat. Am unsure if the stated 1200 € or so a month would cover that, after tax etc.

I've had 2 interviews, was offered one job but got bad vibes; a follow-up to the other is later this week and while I plan to ask the interviewer I've grown wary of overly trusting employers.

Thanks!

The Botanist Gin
Firefox

Re: payment/living costs in Italy

Unread post by Firefox »

The Botanist wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 19:41And how realistic is it to be able to get private lessons to supplement the result?
Don't forget it's increasingly easy to get private lessons online. This intro might help you:
https://www.tefl.net/elt/articles/teach ... roduction/
The Botanist

Re: payment/living costs in Italy

Unread post by The Botanist »

Thanks! - I began teaching in 2009 and am a bit out of touch with some of these developments.