Help ! İreland/Spain

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

Dublinerr

Help ! İreland/Spain

Unread post by Dublinerr »

Hi everyone ! Writting from Turkey.I'm a fan of Dublin / ireland.And I have a bachelor degree at physics department also I studied pedagogic formation.I'll go to the tefl course.But can ı found a tefl job from ireland ? İs my degree and tefl diploma enough ? By the way I want to do this for long term if its possible I want to live there everytime Or if its not possible,how is spain ? Can ı easily found a tefl job from Spain ? Also where should ı go to the course ? My country or The country I will go ? İf you can help me , I'll be very very happy..
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: Help ! İreland/Spain

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there, and welcome to the forum!

I'm from Ireland, and I've been teaching English in Spain for the past five years. :)

I don't think you'd have any luck in Ireland (or indeed any other country where English is the first language). The TEFL market in Ireland is very small, and the jobs tend to go to Irish people who have bags of overseas experience. There is simply no need to apply for a work visa for a non-EU citizen when they have so many of their own citizens who could do the job.

While there is plenty of work in Spain, the market - at least in the big cities - is saturated. In any case, as a non-EU citizen, you can't just come here and look for work. You'd need a visa that allowed you to work, and the chances of that happening are pretty slim. This is because EU hiring law dictates that in order to hire a non-EU citizen, employers first have to prove that there were no suitably-qualified EU citizens who could do the job. When it comes to teaching English, that's not a very likely proposition.

Finally, to maximise your chances of finding work anywhere as a non-native English-speaker, you should invest in a reputable TEFL course, such as the Cambridge Celta or the Trinity CertTESOL. Furthermore, you will need a certificate that proves your level of English, such as the IELTS, TOEFL, or one of the Cambridge exams. At the very minimum, you'd need B2 level, but realistically, employers are going to want to see at least C1. Based on what you've written above, you don't yet have that level. So if you're serious about wanting to teach English, you first need to improve your own.

Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, please ask.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
Dublinerr

Hi Briona ! Thanks a lot for your answer.Yes.Now my english is not enough.I'll going to an english course for improve my english.and I'll take a tefl diploma.But I dont want teaching english I want teaching science or physics beacuse I'm physicst.Do not I have the chance again in ireland or anywhere ? Do you know about this ? So what should ı do ? İf you answer my questions I'll be so happy..
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

Hi again,
Dublinerr wrote:I want teaching science or physics beacuse I'm physicst.Do not I have the chance again in ireland or anywhere ? Do you know about this ? So what should ı do ?
If your goal is to teach abroad, you will need to (a) be a qualified and experienced teacher in your own country, (b) have your qualifications recognised by the relevant body in your target country, and (c) be fluent in the language of your target country (and possibly pass an exam proving it).

I can't be of more help as I'm not a primary/secondary school teacher. You'll have to do your own research, I'm afraid.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
Dublinerr

I will continue my research..Endless thanks Briona..God bless you..