Non-teen summer Teaching in UK (Devon) - where to start?

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

harlandski

Non-teen summer Teaching in UK (Devon) - where to start?

Unread post by harlandski »

I have Googled this, but to be honest I've got lost in details. Can anyone with some experience of this let me know when and where schools/universities in the UK start advertising for summer teaching? I'm particularly interested in teaching in Devon in particular or the West Country in general as that's where my family is based, and I'd like to teach for three months, from June to August.

Ideally I'd like to do pre-sessional teaching at a university, but I take it this is difficult (or impossible) without an MA or DELTA? I'm CELTA qualified with 6+ years experience. If this is the case, I'll be happy to do normal teaching, but would prefer 18+ age students.

I live in Kazakhstan, so I can't just visit places physically beforehand!
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: Non-teen summer Teaching in UK (Devon) - where to start?

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there,

Advertising for summer schools starts as early as November. You can find most UK summer schools on http://www.tefl.com/. However, as you might expect, these involve teaching a range of ages, but in particular 13-16 year olds. You might find though that they have a separate centre for older 'kids', e.g., 16-20 year olds. That was certainly the case at the summer school I worked at.

While most universities will require you to have a DELTA to do pre-sessional work, there are definitely some that don't. Not having yet done any pre-sessional work myself, I can't be sure which ones, but they do exist. For that kind of work, check out https://www.baleap.org/jobs/.

Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, please ask.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
harlandski

Re: Non-teen summer Teaching in UK (Devon) - where to start?

Unread post by harlandski »

Hello Briona,

Thank you so much for this, and sorry for not getting back sooner - busy teaching!

The two links you have provided look perfect, and I have already found a couple of interesting-looking jobs including a language school in Devon, and a pre-sessional course elsewhere which seems to be relaxed on the DELTA/MA requirement. Great stuff!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

James