Teaching in France without a degree

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

Brian23

Teaching in France without a degree

Unread post by Brian23 »

Hi All,

I'm a 23 year old English man, and I am interested in the moving to France to teach English, obviously after doing a TEFL qualification. (That's the intention!)

But I have read on quite a few sites that a degree is required to teach in France - which I don't have. So before I begin my quest to do this, I wanted to know if anyone on here has or knows anyone who has successfully moved to France and spent time time teaching English without a degree.

Anyone who could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated. Or if you need any more information from me in order to answer this question more effectively. Just let me know and I'd be happy to give you any other information that you need.

Many thanks in advance,
Brian
Joe
Admin

Re: Teaching in France without a degree

Unread post by Joe »

I can tell you that 15 years ago it was certainly possible for an English citizen to teach English in France in private language schools without a degree (and with a TEFL qualification). Not sure if anything has changed since then but I doubt it (though don't take this as gospel without checking).

In many countries, a degree is needed not by the school but by the government for visa/employment permit purposes. That doesn't apply in your case since you are English and have a right to work in France or any other EU country.

You could also try looking at job ads for English teachers in France and see if they require a degree. Apart from googling, one useful local source is FUSAC (France USA Contacts). They have a teacher employment page at:
http://ads.fusac.fr/ad-category/employm ... -teachers/

Hope this helps.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Brian23

Re: Teaching in France without a degree

Unread post by Brian23 »

Many thanks for your help Josef, very encouraging and I will check out that page and take a look at some job ads, that's a great idea.

Best,
Brian