Recently qualified TEFL teacher - Spain? or Vietnam?

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

SamB123

Recently qualified TEFL teacher - Spain? or Vietnam?

Unread post by SamB123 »

Hi there, I completed a 120 hour online TEFL course with LoveTEFL in December, and have been backpacking around Southeast Asia since then. I always had the plan of going to Vietnam when I finish backpacking (around July) and trying to land some work as an English teacher. I have recently learnt that there is quite a big TEFL market in Spain. I have a lot of family in Spain and would love nothing more than to work there and learn the language and really get involved in the culture.

Here is my problem, I have no degree, and no teaching experience. I have spoke to various people who have taught in Vietnam who say language centres don't mind if you don't have a degree. What is the situation in Spain if anyone knows? Would I be better to go to Vietnam for a year and then go to Spain and try and get work in 2016?

Any advice will be appreciated, thank you.
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: Recently qualified TEFL teacher - Spain? or Vietnam?

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there,

I'm currently working in Spain, but I started out in Vietnam and can tell you that a degree is a requirement of the work visa. Though I'm sure it's possible to find work without one, know that it wouldn't be legal work. Furthermore, like many countries in Asia, Vietnam is cracking down on illegal workers, so tread with caution.

There is a huge market for EFL teachers in Spain. However, there are also plenty of us already in the country. You haven't said where you're from, but if you don't have a passport from an EU member state, you stand next to no chance of finding legal work here either.

Be advised that the market is pretty competitive and most TEFLers have a recognised face-to-face qualification such as the CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL (as opposed to an online TEFL certificate), and many have experience. Jobs tend not to be found from abroad. So if you're interested in working here, you really need to be on the ground at the right time handing out CVs.

For more information on working in Spain/Europe, have a look at my advice guide: http://toiberiaandbeyond.blogspot.com.e ... urope.html

Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, please ask.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar