making money in Europe

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

kingfisher

making money in Europe

Unread post by kingfisher »

Hey there friends. My wife and I are about to start online TEFL classes and are looking into going to Europe for a year. She has her BS and I do not. What country or countries in Europe should we look at pursuing where we can still make some money to take back home without me having my college degree?
Joe
Admin

Re: making money in Europe

Unread post by Joe »

What's your nationality?
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: making money in Europe

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there,

It's not the lack of a degree that's the problem, although many employers will insist on you having one, it's the nationality. Unless you (a) hold a passport from an EU member state, (b) are married to an EU citizen, or (c) already hold a valid work/study visa, then it's most unlikely you will be able to find legal work here. EU hiring law states that employers in the EU cannot just hire a non-EU citizen - they first to prove that there were no suitably-qualified EU citizens who could do the job. As you might imagine, this is not a very likely proposition.

I've explained all this and the possible options in my 'teaching in Europe' guide: http://thirtysomethingteachertraveller. ... urope.html

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar