Finding it hard to find jobs advertised

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

Morpheus

Finding it hard to find jobs advertised

Unread post by Morpheus »

I have yet to complete my CELTA and I am trying to find available positions, so I can gauge the size of the job market within the UK. I do not want to teach abroad just yet but I would like to gain a few years of experience working anywhere within the UK first.

The problem I am facing is I can't find many jobs advertised online. Are there any websites that have a large number of UK vacancies? So far I have found a limited number of vacancies on very few websites (granted, there many be few jobs available now) - I have found 6 on tefl-jobs.co.uk and 56 on tefl.com. That is 62 nationwide job adverts? I must be missing some big websites, no?

Thanks
Morpheus
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Finding it hard to find jobs advertised

Unread post by Susan »

The thing with the UK is that there is enormous competition for EFL jobs. Teachers who have spent a life time working abroad want to go back to teach in the UK. As a new teacher, you'll be in competition with those people.

The exception to this is the summertime and possibly teaching in London. There are many jobs in summer schools in the UK for experienced and less experienced alike.
Morpheus

Unread post by Morpheus »

Are there any specific websites where these jobs are advertised? I appreciate the TEFL jobs in the UK will be highly competitive, although I do have to try.

When I search for 'TEFL jobs UK', there are quite a few results, but they appear to be on many many different websites, therefore making it hard and time consuming to look for relevant jobs. I don't want a quick fix, just a larger compilation of available jobs.
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

I think that's just the nature of job hunting. Different employers advertise in different places; the wider your net, the more chance you have of finding something.