Teaching in Spain in 2014

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

olihill

Teaching in Spain in 2014

Unread post by olihill »

Hi everyone,

I am going to be taking the CELTA at some point in early 2014 after I have graduated university and have raised enough money to take it. For me, teaching outside of Europe is not really an option at this stage of my life, and I would really love to work in Spain. I just wondered what advice anyone could give me on here for finding work in Spain. Would it be best for me to travel directly, to say Madrid ,and stay there for a few weeks to find work? Or should I try find jobs online?

Here is some information on myself:
- BA in Economics & Politics
- Currently studying an MA in Economics
- British Passport holder
- First language is English
- Intermediate level of Spanish
- Will be CELTA certified.

Any advice or tips anyone can give me would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by Alex Case on 14 Mar 2013, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: More specific title
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Spain.

Unread post by Alex Case »

Although I haven't taught there for years myself, several people have told me that the job market is much better than you'd think given the economic troubles - although I assume the already low pay and conditions are getting worse as they are in most industries there. It's best to plan to:
- Apply for jobs from the beginning of the summer (some schools recruit then for September/ October, and there are the rare summer jobs)
- If you can't find work in Spain in the summer, do what most people do and do a summer school in the UK to get experience, keeping an eye on jobs during that time
- Go to Spain between late August and the middle of September to also apply in person, including personally dropping CVs and asking to speak to anyone who's there at the time if you need to

It's also worth getting a qualification to show your Spanish level.
olihill

Re: Spain.

Unread post by olihill »

Alex Case wrote:Although I haven't taught there for years myself, several people have told me that the job market is much better than you'd think given the economic troubles - although I assume the already low pay and conditions are getting worse as they are in most industries there. It's best to plan to:
- Apply for jobs from the beginning of the summer (some schools recruit then for September/ October, and there are the rare summer jobs)
- If you can't find work in Spain in the summer, do what most people do and do a summer school in the UK to get experience, keeping an eye on jobs during that time
- Go to Spain between late August and the middle of September to also apply in person, including personally dropping CVs and asking to speak to anyone who's there at the time if you need to

It's also worth getting a qualification to show your Spanish level.
Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for your response. I think what you have told me is pretty much what I was thinking but its nice to hear it from someone with experience. I'm taking a qualification at the moment at my uni but maybe I should consider a more formal qualification such as an A-level as I have looked at the papers/listened to audio and they're not especially difficult.

I know you said you haven't taught there for a while but would you say it would be best to avoid Barcelona as I have heard its swamped with tefl teachers? The catalan/castellan mix would probably just confuse me too. Madrid is the place to start really?
Richardavie

Re: Teaching in Spain in 2014

Unread post by Richardavie »

I wouldn't say Barcelona is swamped with teachers, there is a lot of competition in the city centre but in the small towns maybe 20min from the city centre there is a lot of work and some 'breathing space'.

5 years ago the standard pay was 15€/hour net. Now the starting rate for new teachers is 12€ and most people get bumped up to 14€ after a good semester.

As for the Catalan, I wouldn't be put off at all, I'm amazed at how many people think it's a no-go area because of the language! Everyone here speaks Spanish and it's a very international city
MarkTeacher

Unread post by MarkTeacher »

I taught in Pamplona for 5 years and now work online from Ecuador. I never worked as a salaried worker and as a freelance, I have never once been requested a teaching qualification.

In Pamplona there will be schools seeking full-time teachers and pay tends to be better than other parts of Spain however the cost of living is higher.

I think anyone can work as a freelance: it all depends on your belief... I started getting responses by putting paper ads up in the old days around town... maybe around 30 every 2 weeks.

I agree that the crisis may have lowered prices a little but there are always possibilities.

I think definately get over to Spain if you are not there already as it shows you are comitted and gives you an incentive in the sense that you must make it work... which you can do! All the best.
English classes via Skype with native teachers, free trial: http://www.clasesinglesonline.com
Richardavie

Unread post by Richardavie »

MarkTeacher wrote: I think anyone can work as a freelance: it all depends on your belief... I started getting responses by putting paper ads up in the old days around town... maybe around 30 every 2 weeks.
I totally agree - If you're a good teacher, have a good attitude and are proactive there are lots of opportunities.
hopeful

Unread post by hopeful »

There´s work over here in Tenerife , but conditions are not brilliant. with time and if you´re planning on staying in Spain you can build up some private clases and charge between 15- 20 euros an hour