Teaching work/expat life in Aix-en-Provence?

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

Wren
Registered Member

Teaching work/expat life in Aix-en-Provence?

Unread post by Wren » 20 Feb 2018, 12:06

Hello!

I'm a recently-qualified TEFL teacher hoping to work in France for 9 months to a year, (aka however long they'll let me stay on a student visa). I finished a master's degree in literature this autumn and decided to pursue TEFL since I felt in need of an adventure. I'm American but have lived in the UK for the past five years, as I did all my higher education there. I chose France for TEFL teaching because I'd like to improve my French!

Does anyone have any experience with teaching English and living in Aix-en-Provence? So far I've checked out Montpellier and Bordeaux, and would probably go with Montpellier at this point, as I didn't get a great impression of the Alliance Française in Bordeaux, and I'll most likely be doing my French course with AF, wherever I am, so I'd like to have confidence in them. I'm currently trying to decide if it's worth checking out Aix-en-Provence...my main concerns are the availability of English teaching work, (I've read it has a high expat/seasonal population, so not sure what the demand for English is like!), and the cost of living, (I've read housing is very expensive–I'll be looking for a flatshare, wherever I end up).

Any advice or general tips on the city (even if you've only visited once!) would be very much appreciated! Thanks very much.

Best,

Wren