I found a way to get out of a bad China TEFL contract legally without a loss or problems

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Blue Moon
Rising Star

I found a way to get out of a bad China TEFL contract legally without a loss or problems

Unread post by Blue Moon »

I got myself stuck in a part-time contract without benefits because my employer will not give me full time hours, and I am forced to work at two different locations in one day on a split shift. None of this was in my contract which my recruiter translated for me. Long story short, I got baited and switched after I got to China. So now I found a much better full-time job that pays 3,000 rmb more and even comes with an apartment. I want to switch and was directed by a veteran teacher to use this method https://eslwatch.info/en/china/77-about ... ost-review.

Unless you guys think its a bad idea I am going to do it this week. I have no sympathy for my employer since she deliberately tricked me and doesn't care if I have medical issues and need medical insurance. What do you all think?
Watch your step in China. There is a pile of shit waiting for your foot around every corner that only laowai seem to step in. See https://reddit.com/r/workabroadfraud.
Tiger
Rising Star

Re: I found a way to get out of a bad China TEFL contract legally without a loss or problems

Unread post by Tiger »

This is interesting but make darn sure that your new employer will give you a new invitation letter and visa, and tell your current employer you are going back to your homeland.
I suggest every TEFL teacher take a visit to https://reddit.com/r/TEFLscams BEFORE they send off their resumes.
Atlas
Rising Star

Re: I found a way to get out of a bad China TEFL contract legally without a loss or problems

Unread post by Atlas »

Looks good to me. Let us know how it works out.
Look Before You Leap at https://reddit.com/r/teflscams
Blue Moon
Rising Star

It worked. I even got paid because I had my lawyer friend send my resignation letter.
Watch your step in China. There is a pile of shit waiting for your foot around every corner that only laowai seem to step in. See https://reddit.com/r/workabroadfraud.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

What you have to remember Blue Moon is that you’re one the minority who got scammed in the first place. You’re not the brightest bunny in the bunch and your tales of woe reflect the gullibility and greed as you search for the promised big money at the bottom end of the scammy business sector. You’re still doing it now and it’s an almost 100% guarantee you will get scammed again.

I’m trying hard to be sympathetic here, but if I was one of your parents I’d have to say, don’t go to China, stay at home! These people can see you youngsters coming with your ¥50K pm fantasies, 30% to 40% salary more than everyone else and doubled up in accommodation with no medical insurance. Don’t blame everyone else, you signed the contract and you didn’t even know it should have been in Chinese AND English? You got baited and switched because you were gullible enough to fall for it. You are Blue Moon, a future deportation statistic waiting to happen.
Blue Moon
Rising Star

You would have been correct if I did not discover TEFL.net and ESLWatch.info which gave me a crash course on TEFL job scams and the scam links to r/TEFLscams and r/ChinaScamCentral at Reddit that I found here at TEFL.net. I am not as gullible and naive as before John. Also I think I was not the only TEFL applicant who was dumb enough to trust and believe their own job agent. Not any more. I am now fan of DIY - thanks to all you guys. I am grateful to all you guys who warned me. Xie xie!
John V55
Top Contributor

Blue Moon wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 23:08 You would have been correct if I did not discover TEFL.net and ESLWatch.info which gave me a crash course on TEFL job scams and the scam links to r/TEFLscams and r/ChinaScamCentral at Reddit that I found here at TEFL.net. I am not as gullible and naive as before John. Also I think I was not the only TEFL applicant who was dumb enough to trust and believe their own job agent. Not any more. I am now fan of DIY - thanks to all you guys. I am grateful to all you guys who warned me. Xie xie!
You discovered anonymous advice from anonymous people who had also previously been scammed themselves. It’s not the scams that are the problem, it’s the minority of people who fall for them and that won’t change. ‘I’ll now beat the scammers’ is about the worst mind-set possible. You won’t beat the scammers by putting yourself into the sector they operate in and come out smiling because you’re cleverer than them. They will beat you every time. I will 99% guarantee you will get scammed again.
John V55
Top Contributor

China is not the US, it’s a communist society in which the competitive mind-set to outdo everyone else in greed is not applauded, it’s seen as a character defect. It’s why scammers predominantly target young Americans and why anonymous webpages cater to US beliefs of winners and losers and divides people into smart and dumb. Here come the anonymous TEFL certificate holding DIY party animals on ¥60K pm, 40% more than everyone else – bigger, better, best … And they still can’t understand it’s what got them scammed in the first place. Such is the power of a belief system they’re convinced it’s everyone else’s fault.

The scammers know where you’re from, your mind-set and what makes you tick. Adapting to a non-western culture involves more than just tasting foreign food, it means understanding (although not necessarily agreeing with) the economic and political system you’re living in. The vast majority of people do not get scammed, the tiny minority of predominantly Americans who do, invariably bring it on themselves.
Prometheus
Rising Star

Unread post by Prometheus »

Blue Moon-
"It worked. I even got paid because I had my lawyer friend send my resignation letter."

Congratulations Blue Moon! Thank you for having the courage to test the waters for the rest of us. It's truly a relief to know that we can legally escape from a bad job contract without retribution and a final paycheck. I am assuming you handed in your resignation letter on pay day after confirming funds were transferred?

You also proved that knowledge is power and once people learn about what you did and how you did it, there will come a change in way of schools realizing they do not have iron-clad control over us and many expat teachers believed.

And basically if you did not see that post from ESLWatch.info that you linked in your OP post, none of us would have learned about this clever tactic. Frankly it doesn't matter who wrote the original post a few years ago, we didn't know about it until you opted to share it with all of us. You could have kept this legal secret to yourself, but you didn't. You were considerate to think of your expat colleagues. For this I say thank you. You proved that people who are all anonymous on the internet can help one another in meaningful ways. Hopefully others will follow your example and post other helpful tips.
The best TEFL advice I ever got is at https://reddit.com/r/tefl_tips_traps_scams and right here at TEFL.net.
John V55
Top Contributor

Pass the sycophantic vomit bucket.

Children, children (he said shaking his head). You really shouldn’t be going anywhere further than the US border.

Here’s a tip. If people weren’t so gullible in the first place, they wouldn’t need to pay ¥10,000 to get out of the mess they got themselves into, organized by the China Foreign Teachers Union of course. Or the cheaper route for ¥5000 – is that also cheques made payable to the CFTU? Or did the CFTU say they never charged for anything? Anyway, whatever. Stand by for further instalments of ‘how I got scammed again.’
Vagabond
Top Contributor

Unread post by Vagabond »

Prometheus wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 05:47
And basically if you did not see that post from ESLWatch.info that you linked in your OP post, none of us would have learned about this clever tactic. Frankly it doesn't matter who wrote the original post a few years ago, we didn't know about it until you opted to share it with all of us. You could have kept this legal secret to yourself, but you didn't. You were considerate to think of your expat colleagues. For this I say thank you. You proved that people who are all anonymous on the internet can help one another in meaningful ways. Hopefully others will follow your example and post other helpful tips."
What I take away from this China story is that just one person CAN make a BIG difference and save other TEFL teachers, both friends and strangers, a whole lot of suffering, grief, and money, simply by posting a single scam warning. I looked at the link the OP shared with us, and see that 12,000 expats viewed and were given a legal way to solve a problem. https://eslwatch.info/en/china/77-abou ... ost-review IMO, I think if everyone was considerate enough to warn others of how they were screwed or exploited, our TEFL World would be a safer and more fun place to work without all the stress unfair contracts create for us. Imagine our world without these people below

Before taking any teaching job in China make a quick visit over to https://reddit.com/r/ChinaScamCentral and https://reddit.com/r/TEFLreviews so your dream job does not become a nightmare.
John V55
Top Contributor

I vote we add to the list of pictured worthies, Blue Moon. We now know that for between ¥5 to 10,000, the CFTU will get you out of the mess you got yourself into in the first place. DIY job search advice for highly paid jobs on anonymous spam webpages, get scammed, pay an organization to sort it out for you and go back to the anonymous web pages that sent you there. Only in America!
Blue Moon
Rising Star

Nobody charged me a nickel to do anything sir. If you read my OP you will see I saw the old article posted here: https://eslwatch.info/en/china/77-about ... ost-review I don't give a shit who rote the article, the information was gold and it just worked for me. You are very negative man with some grudge against the CFTU, What did they personally do to you? Did they cheat you somehow? Or are you one of the recruiters that is on their blacklist? It seems no matter what the topic of any post is, you find some way to accuse of the CFTU of something but never put any proof. Yeah I know everything on forums is usually opinions, but in the case of this old article about bailing out of a bad contract legally, the advice given by the CFTU in that article proved to be true because I myself proved it works in the last two weeks. 12,000 other people appreciated the article and so do I. I also appreciate the articles they posted on reddit about...

* China Labor Laws

* Official TEFL Teacher Requirements

* Employee Rights

* Contract Fraud and Tips

* Fake Tax Deductions

* Scams to avoid

All you do is criticize others and push people to go work for public schools in Mongolia! Your advice has never been helpful to me. Sorry.
John V55
Top Contributor

Naw, I’m not negative or a recruiter or have a grudge about anything or anyone. I know spammers and scams when I see them. Look on me as a realist; as someone who knew you were going to get scammed before it happened and the one who rolls his eyes the next time it happens and mutters, 'Oh FFS, not again!'
I push for government schools, whether in Inner Mongolia or elsewhere, because I’d hate to see others end up a victim of the same scams you do.

Re: Your signature line:
The vast majority don’t have to watch their step in China and there’s not a pile of shit waiting for them. Only for the gullible minority. :)
Atlas
Rising Star

Unread post by Atlas »

Congratulations Blue Moon! You dared to fight back against the corrupt recruiting system and won. And by sharing what you discovered many more TEFL teachers in China can do the same and immediately boost their income without the risk of middlemen who gobble up 30%-50% of their salaries. I'll bet you have inspired dozens of others to investigate the DIY TEFL job placement method, and even more who will now ignore the empty threats of their employers and bail out of their one-sided contracts in pursuit of a fair contract and wage. I salute you for making the move. I hope a thousand more of our colleagues will do the same.
Look Before You Leap at https://reddit.com/r/teflscams