Realistic TEFL Salaries in China: Spam Free TEFL Advice

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

John V55
Top Contributor

Realistic TEFL Salaries in China: Spam Free TEFL Advice

Unread post by John V55 »

‘I’m still holding out for that promised pot of gold at the end of the TEFL rainbow.’ Mary, China Foreign Teacher Union spam link follower since 2008.

International Schools - ¥30K+. Professional teaching licence required. Overseen by the education authority.
State schools - ¥10 – 15K pm. Verifiable degree, TEFL certificate and experience required. Overseen by the education authority.
Private schools - ¥15 – 25K pm (a little higher in Ist tier cities). Business employment and so no qualifications required. Overseen by a for-profit business company.

Give or take. Much lower and you’re being had over, but a lot more and it’s a scam. No one is paying you a professionally qualified western teacher’s salary for a 150 hour TEFL certificate.

When gullibility met greed

‘You know, there are so many variables about the salary YOU will get offered - and the one that YOU will accept. And all of these factors will determine whether you earn $30,000 a year or $100,000 a year as a foreign teacher...’ Anonymous CFTU member ‘Cricket’, ‘Realistic Chinese TEFL Salaries’, promoting anonymous Shanghai based ‘China Teachers Alliance’ founded in 2008.

‘Founded in 2008 in Beijing China, we also have a smaller chapter in Shanghai.’ (China Foreign Teachers Union). Well fancy that, what a coincidence. :roll:

But wait, $100,000 dollars a year? WOW! That’s ¥53,748 ($8,333 - £5,984 pm)! Perhaps we could have a list of private TEFL businesses offering these salaries? Obviously not. Well OK, let’s give the benefit of the doubt and say it was a typo, or misplaced enthusiasm.

Spam links do not contain advice

TEFL employment is full of scams, but they all occur at the business run bottom end of the TEFL market, where not surprisingly the deportations also come from. Here you will find the unscrupulous recruiters along with the business directors and anonymous web pages warning you against it whilst promoting the same fantasies.

If you’re earning around ¥12-15,000 a month with all the add-on extras and working in an environment protected by an education department, you’re doing well. That salary in a country with half the living costs of the west will provide you with a middle class lifestyle.

The multitude of the same spam links all pointing to the same anonymous web pages are designed to have you running around in circles chasing a fantasy. There is no pot of gold as a TEFL teacher, there are no party animals spending their weekends in bars and there is no one illegally freelancing in China that isn’t eventually going to get caught. There are only anonymous spam pages on sites like Ruqqus, reddit, wordpress and opnlttr drawing you further into the murky world of the bottom end TEFL industry.
Stay away from these spam sites and illegal unions, because if you buy into this spam link farm you WILL eventually get scammed yourself.
Vagabond
Top Contributor

Re: Realistic TEFL Salaries in China: Spam Free TEFL Advice

Unread post by Vagabond »

[imghttp://theasianpost.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Chinese-yuan-660x330.jpg[/img]

With all due respect John... YOU are also anonymous, and you have spammed the very most links in this forum. Your resume appears linked on this forum over 300 times. If this post is truly about REALISTIC CHINA TEFL SALARIES there are many factual sources quoted on yet another link you started on this very same subject 3 times! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8847

In case you already forgot this chart is posted there: http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-su ... &jobtype=1 This is also confirmed by the CTA in their recent newsletter as you can see here:

There is also an international source that confirms these POST-COVID salaries embedded in this link https://chinacareercenter.wordpress.com ... per-month/ It appears you simply disagree and are trying to control and monopolize the narrative on this subject. Why? Are you a recruiter who does not want your prospective clients to know how much they can really earn in China IF THEY AR TRULY QUALIFIED? Last but not least, these all time- salaries are also explained here: https://opnlttr.com/letter/pandemics-bo ... world-wide

If you recall, you had stated previously that your China teaching was at a public school in Mongolia which as all veteran TEFL teachers in China know, is at the lowest end of the pay scale for TEFL teachers. We also agreed that no teacher is going to get rich teaching in China unless they work for themselves as a private tutor, or open their own school.
Before taking any teaching job in China make a quick visit over to https://reddit.com/r/ChinaScamCentral and https://reddit.com/r/TEFLreviews so your dream job does not become a nightmare.
John V55
Top Contributor

You have my resume which is not being link spammed, it’s a signature line. You have articles I’ve written, even photos … I don’t need to remain anonymous and don’t take note of opinions posted on anonymous China Teachers Alliance affiliated with China Foreign Teacher Union pages all coming out of spam link sites.

My pay scale reflected that of an education authority led state school in INNER Mongolia. It’s where I chose to work minus the scams and boasts of anonymous posters and tales of deportations.
Cricket
Top Contributor

Unread post by Cricket »

First of all, this topic has nothing to do with the CFTU people since they did not even post a single comment on this entire forum. Secondly, it looks like JohnV is pushing some agenda here trying to convince everyone that his paltry salary at the Mongolian public school are good and normal "average earnings" for China - THEY ARE NOT! They are only average for public schools which pay the very least in China. Any TEFL teacher working in China more than a year knows THIS IS A FACT. This chart is factual and ONLY disputed by JohnV who insists he is not a recruiter or job agent, but probably is. Those tourist photos he posted mean nothing to me and for all we know, sitting at the table could be John before his parole board. We cannot read his resume without giving our identity, and even if we could read it how would we know it is real? How many people do you know with the name of "John V. Asia"? How many people do you know with the last name of Asia period?

Lets get back on point. CURRENT 2021 China TEFL teacher salaries... This source has no affiliation with the CFTU nor the CTA:
https://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-s ... &jobtype=1

Before sending off your resume or passport scan, be sure to check https://reddit.com/r/teflscams and to vaccinate yourself against foreign teacher job scams.
John V55
Top Contributor

Fancy another spammer turning up just after Vagabond, I’d never have thought it. :)

The illegal Chinese Foreign Teachers Union don’t have to post, you’re doing it for them.
Actually it’s ‘John V Asia Teacher’, complete with posted articles, photos and resume. Not perfect, but better than anonymous ‘Cricket’ spamming out to anonymous spam pages. Poster attacks are so amateurish.

Oh yes, before I forget about your chart above and the ‘factual’ thing?
‘Salary: Explorer | Glassdoor
16 Feb 2021 — 254 Explorer Salaries provided anonymously by employees. What salary does a Explorer earn in your area?’

Just another anonymous misleading poster review compilation presented as some sort of independent research project. :lol:

I’ll ask the same question here as you’ve both gone quiet about it elsewhere.
Why are so touchy when I mention spam links to anonymous webpages, or the illegal China Foreign Teachers Union? Is there something you’re not telling me? Is there a reason you’re continually linking out to these anonymous pages on ruqqus, reddit, wordpress and opnlttr?