Online Degree not accepted in Middle East, and other countries?

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Sharjah

Online Degree not accepted in Middle East, and other countries?

Unread post by Sharjah »

Quick question for all those experienced teaching abroad.

I am an American, and hope to teach abroad in the Middle East, or another part of Asia, within the next few years.

My first degree (Bachelor's degree) was done in-person, so that is not an issue.

However, my Master's Degree was done online.

Both degree's were completed at reputable accredited state schools.

(Not degree mills, or anything like that)

I'm a little bit concerned about my Master's Degree being an online master's degree.

My transcript/diploma does not say "Online" on it, nor does it indicate anywhere the degree was completed online;

But if the governments of any of these countries really wanted to find out, they could easily discover my master's degree was done online, by either calling the school, or visiting the school's website for my specific degree.

My question is -

- Does the "No Online Degree's" rule that a lot of countries have, only apply to Bachelor's degree's? (i.e. First Degrees)

Or does it also apply to Master's Degree's?

- In other words, do the governments abroad only investigate the Bachelor's degree, and whether it was done in-person, or do they also investigate the Master's Degree?

Thanks
Joe
Admin

Re: Online Degree not accepted in Middle East, and other countries?

Unread post by Joe »

Sharjah wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 02:52My question is -

- Does the "No Online Degree's" rule that a lot of countries have, only apply to Bachelor's degree's? (i.e. First Degrees)

- In other words, do the governments abroad only investigate the Bachelor's degree, and whether it was done in-person, or do they also investigate the Master's Degree?
Are you sure it even matters? Usually, government's only interest in degrees is to allow you a visa/work permit - and for that a bachelor's is all that's required. Unless you're being employed by a government... ??
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Sharjah

Unread post by Sharjah »

Joe wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 03:55
Sharjah wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 02:52My question is -

Are you sure it even matters? Usually, government's only interest in degrees is to allow you a visa/work permit - and for that a bachelor's is all that's required. Unless you're being employed by a government... ??
There are certain private employers in the Middle East that prefer Master's Degree holders; These aren't government jobs.

I just wanted to get more information on the "No Online Degree" requirement, that the Middle East & the rest of Asia is known for;

Whether this only applies to Bachelor's degrees, or whether they also validate whether the Master degree was done online.
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

I must have been confused because you asked if governments investigate etc. My mistake
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Sharjah

Unread post by Sharjah »

Joe wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 06:03 I must have been confused because you asked if governments investigate etc. My mistake
In fact, I think you're correct; I myself was unsure of how the whole process worked.

I thought the government validated the degree on behalf of the hiring employer.

It sounds like the government simply validates the entry requirements (Bachelor's Degree) and issues a visa.

If the private employer has additional degree requirements (i.e. A Masters Degree) they might just hire a consultancy to validate the degree. I guess this is where my question lies.
Cricket
Top Contributor

Unread post by Cricket »

Five years ago, it wouldn't matter in China but Today in 2021 they do not accept online-degrees and now even insist that you are a native speaker and hold a passport or birth certificate from the U.S., Canada, U.K. Australia, New Zealans, or South Africa. China does in fact investigate at two levels since 2017 - at the PSB level and at the SAFEA level. You may get lucky and get processed by some lazy people who take short-cuts, but don't count on it. I don't think you would have problems in Vietnam, Cambodia, or Thailand, but you should investigate BEFORE you go. You might also visit and ask people at https://ruqqus.com/+TEFL and https://ruqqus.com/+Expats. Good luck to you.
Before sending off your resume or passport scan, be sure to check https://reddit.com/r/teflscams and to vaccinate yourself against foreign teacher job scams.