Only accept teachers with accredited teaching certificate??

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

COLIN
Rising Star

Only accept teachers with accredited teaching certificate??

Unread post by COLIN »

Hello people, this is a good one for all.
Many employers never tell the real reason for turning down a job application. I however received this one with regards to my application yesterday.
Teaching Certificate:
Due to new legislation from the Chinese government, we can only accept Teachers who hold an accredited Teaching Certificate.
e.g. TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, Teacher’s License.
I am TEFL qualified. So what the hell do they actually wanted to say with this note? Or is it just a makeup excuse for saying no, since they did not want to say the real reason.
120-hour+Master.png
Or is my certificate not a verified one.
How do I prepare myself for future outcomes, since I am now a bit skeptical about all of this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Only accept teachers with accredited teaching certificate??

Unread post by John V55 »

COLIN wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 18:55 Hello people, this is a good one for all.
Many employers never tell the real reason for turning down a job application. I however received this one with regards to my application yesterday.
Teaching Certificate:
Due to new legislation from the Chinese government, we can only accept Teachers who hold an accredited Teaching Certificate.
e.g. TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, Teacher’s License.
I am TEFL qualified. So what the hell do they actually wanted to say with this note? Or is it just a makeup excuse for saying no, since they did not want to say the real reason.
120-hour+Master.png
Or is my certificate not a verified one.
How do I prepare myself for future outcomes, since I am now a bit skeptical about all of this?
I’d reapply and state in bold that you have a TEFL certificate. Also be sure to highlight your previous experience as China usually requires two years’ worth. If that doesn’t work and you have both TEFL and experience, apply elsewhere.
Back to topic? :)
COLIN
Rising Star

Unread post by COLIN »

Oh thank you very much.
However I had already sent my TEFL certificate beforehand. I have over 20 years of experience. Furthermore they do not accept reapplications. Maybe you know them, for being very famous. They`re called "Palfish".
John V55
Top Contributor

COLIN wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 19:45 Oh thank you very much.
However I had already sent my TEFL certificate beforehand. I have over 20 years of experience. Furthermore they do not accept reapplications. Maybe you know them, for being very famous. They`re called "Palfish".
I’ve never heard of Palfish (famous?) and wouldn’t apply for these lesser known private companies which spring up like mushrooms and are nearly always where problems arise. I always worked for state schools, which don’t pay as much, but have a reputation to uphold and come with security of employment and a legal work permit. Some of these private companies intentionally look for newbies to exploit and perhaps your experience put them off?

Their website certainly looks like they’re looking for a singing, dancing type and if it’s the online teaching you went for, they prefer younger people. Online one to one in China is viewed as a status symbol and you have to both look and play the part. Furthermore, don’t be enticed by the hourly rates offered, you’ll very rarely get them. Teaching online is not a money maker.
COLIN
Rising Star

Unread post by COLIN »

Thank you very much Mr John V55. You painted the exact portrait of the situation. The merit goes to your rich experience and wisdom. Well, I thought they were famous due to their mushroom presentation ha ha. They are looking for preferable "barby" dolls like I had mentioned in previous post. Obviously attractive rates accompany the show off.
I do prefer live classes to online ones, but after three months of application and job denials I ended up settling for online options which I thought may be easier. One of the biggest barriers is that I am not from one of the sweet 6 "native" countries in spite of my qualifications and skills.
John V55
Top Contributor

‘Merit, rich experience, wisdom?’ That made me smile (the way it’s written). :) No, I’ve just been there and done it. The reason they ask for NES is because of grammar issues. There are specific schools that take non NES in countries such as Thailand and Cambodia, but China is reluctant except for a few private schools. It’s also often political. If China falls out with your country expect it to affect work permits.

These sing and dance set-ups are ten a penny and why they’re always recruiting because their ‘teacher’ turn-over is near 100%. Expect between ¥100/200 per hour for genuine on-line teaching, because what they’re advertising is what they’re charging and not what you’ll be getting. If it was so easy and lucrative we’d all be doing it. Mostly, it’s a scam and at best a lot of preparation for a small salary.
COLIN
Rising Star

Unread post by COLIN »

Quite on the contrary. The Chinese govt is making excellent cash off of my small Guyana, since they hold the contract to build all the roads and highways throughout the country. Apart from participating in the American oil exploration to put the country on the `rich ` market for next year. It only happens to be a one way benefit system, and I obviously have no govt saying to determine anything.
Thailand and Cambodia also have their `native` sign not to hire people from my country.