Returning to South Korea after Broken Contract - Advice?

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

travelasia

Returning to South Korea after Broken Contract - Advice?

Unread post by travelasia »

Hello,

Sorry if this question has already been addressed, but wasn't able to find an answer.

8 years ago I moved to South Korea to teach ESL and looking to return because I really liked Korea. The employer had actually broken my contract for ( in my opinion) unreasonable reasons. For instance, that I didn't have an authentic American accent (not American by the way). It had been stressful and uncomfortable. He agreed that I could stay until I found something, but then I heard from another teacher that he had blacklisted me! Still, to this day, I'm sure why you didn't like me? This had become quite concerning and I was so worried that he could ask to me leave the apartment if he had found a replacement, which the headmaster had owned of course. With that being said I felt my only choice was to leave so eventually, I just left. Paid some bills and gave him a free week of work hours.

My question is, can I still return after all this time? Would I have issues getting another visa? Would my future employer find out about this from immigration? And I should I be upfront with my current recruiter? Has anyone experienced a similar situation?

Your input is appreciated!
Thank you.
Saturn
Rising Star

Re: Returning to South Korea after Broken Contract - Advice?

Unread post by Saturn »

Hopefully, they do not blacklist teachers in Korea. They do in China. Let us know how you make out. The way I see it you have a 50/50 chance of having no problems.