Does a Master's trump a Bachelor's in China; S.Korea; Vietnam; Taiwan?

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Gabriel

Does a Master's trump a Bachelor's in China; S.Korea; Vietnam; Taiwan?

Unread post by Gabriel »

Hi There,

I've noticed that a lot of schools in SE Asia, particularly in Vietnam, Taiwan, China and South Korea, are looking for applicants with a BA.

I've got 14 years' experience plus an MA in TESOL and Applied Linguistics (but no BA).

Now I'm wondering if my Master's will trump my lack of Bachelor's or whether this is something that universities (and/or governments) are blind to?

Many thanks in advance,

Gabriel
Volunteer
Rising Star

Re: Does a Master's trump a Bachelor's in China; S.Korea; Vietnam; Taiwan?

Unread post by Volunteer »

You would think the answer is yes...but its not. In China every employer wants to pay as little as possible. Having a MBA or Phd makes you less appealing to employers because they don't want to pay you more. I am in the same boat as you. If you get a non-teaching job it MAY come in handy but don't count on it unless the job requirements specify you must have a post-graduate degree. Good luck!
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

Gabriel wrote:Hi There,

I've noticed that a lot of schools in SE Asia, particularly in Vietnam, Taiwan, China and South Korea, are looking for applicants with a BA.

I've got 14 years' experience plus an MA in TESOL and Applied Linguistics (but no BA).

Now I'm wondering if my Master's will trump my lack of Bachelor's or whether this is something that universities (and/or governments) are blind to?

Many thanks in advance,

Gabriel
In state schools the answer is yes. You'll generally get more the higher your qualification.
Gabriel

Unread post by Gabriel »

Thanks for the responses.

What I really need to know is -- will I be able to actually get the proper Visa with an MA and no BA?

I'm looking at: China, Korea, Taiwan and Vietnam.
Murphy
Rising Star

Unread post by Murphy »

You will not have a problem getting a visa, but once you are in China you have a small chance that someone will ask to see you your bachelors degree. The chances are slim so I would not worry about it. Before you start sending off resumes however, I suggest you take a look at three websites to keep yourself out of harm's way...

http://reddit.com/r/teflscams

https://www.slideshare.net/LaowaiCareer ... l-teachers

http://chinascamwatch.wordpress.com

Good luck and welcome to China!