teaching in Malaysia without experience

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

rusco

teaching in Malaysia without experience

Unread post by rusco » 05 Jan 2015, 12:12

Hi! I'm currently based in London but the missus is starting a job in Kuala Lumpar and I'd like to use this as an opportunity to have a career change. If I get a CELTA from somewhere like International House how realistic can one get a teaching job in Malaysia without any experience? Having read a few blogs it seems without any experience it's next to impossible. Is this really the case? If so, I won't bother doing the CELTA and will do something else instead of teaching.
So if anyone can break it down, that would be much appreciated.
Cheers :D

pauldev

Re: teaching in Malaysia without experience

Unread post by pauldev » 18 Jan 2015, 05:36

The CELTA is a good choice and will give you a good foundation to be successful and to find a position.

You will find there are a lot of job vacancies out there. It's best to do some research on particular schools and if possible work somewhere that has been recommended to you by another teacher.

It's important to develop your skills and knowledge within a range of areas to become a successful EFL teacher.

These areas include classroom management, structuring a lesson, games, working with language, planning, dealing with vocabulary,problems and solutions and feedback and reflection.

Please visit the following link for a range of high quality EFL training and teaching materials designed by Paul Devenny, Director of Education from the UK with 12 years experience.

http://www.e-junkie.com/EliteEFLTeachingResources

rusco

Re: teaching in Malaysia without experience

Unread post by rusco » 21 Jan 2015, 20:40

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I'm keen to gage just how realistic the 1-2 year experience as a min requirement is for this particular country so if you or anyone who has knowledge could please respond to that specific point.
Thank you.