This is the most clever and costly TEFL Job Scam ever. It steals up to 45% of teacher salaries!

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Atlas
Rising Star

This is the most clever and costly TEFL Job Scam ever. It steals up to 45% of teacher salaries!

Unread post by Atlas »

Imagine getting half of your salary withheld by your school (if you are earning 20,000 rmb or more a month) and when you ask why, they show you some official document with a red government seal on it and they tell you that you are in the top tax bracket and the law requires them to hold 45% of your wages until the end of the year when there is a final reconciliation. But the Principal tells you, 'don't worry, you'll get at least half of this back after we work a deal with the tax man". She tells you this to make sure you stay until the completion of your contract, otherwise you might make a midnight run.

Not knowing how the China tax system works (and there are three levels of taxes in China) we all just believe our employer right? Not any more. Most of them have been skimming this money and here is how a little knowledge can get a quick refund for you. https://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Look Before You Leap at https://reddit.com/r/teflscams
Blue Moon
Rising Star

Re: This is the most clever and costly TEFL Job Scam ever. It steals up to 45% of teacher salaries!

Unread post by Blue Moon »

I admit, I never doubted that the taxes being taken out of my pay were real. I just visited my last employer, showed her this post and asked for copies of my tax receipts or I was going to visit the tax bureau on Monday for my copies. She didn't say anything but she asked me to go with her to ICBC bank down the street. She went to the ATM machine, took out 20,000 rmb and gave it to me. This amount is less than half of what she stole from me, and I told her so. She told me to come back tomorrow and she would have the rest of it for me. I am very grateful for the OP post or I still would be in the dark about this sneaky scam. Pass this post around to all of your colleagues and I think if you are firm enough, you will get the same results as me.
Watch your step in China. There is a pile of shit waiting for your foot around every corner that only laowai seem to step in. See https://reddit.com/r/workabroadfraud.
Tiger
Rising Star

Re: This is the most clever and costly TEFL Job Scam ever. It steals up to 45% of teacher salaries!

Unread post by Tiger »

Yeah they got me too. I am going to confront my principal tomorrow since once the school year finishes next month I'll be screwed. Talk about great timing! If i didn't see this post I would have lost 50,000 rmb and not even know it!
I suggest every TEFL teacher take a visit to https://reddit.com/r/TEFLscams BEFORE they send off their resumes.
Vagabond
Top Contributor

Unread post by Vagabond »

This is the reality of Teaching in China. Welcome to the dark side and always scrutinize any and every job offer that comes your way. Analyze the contract they want you to sign and if it violates these guidelines, rewrite the contract accordingly. If they want you they will sign it. If not, take a pass and warn others. https://chinaforeignteachersunion.wordp ... contracts/
Before taking any teaching job in China make a quick visit over to https://reddit.com/r/ChinaScamCentral and https://reddit.com/r/TEFLreviews so your dream job does not become a nightmare.
Atlas
Rising Star

Unread post by Atlas »

Yesterday I was have some drinks with some expat colleagues at Lush in Wudaokou and I was shocked to hear one of them say that only after 3 years did he realize fake taxes were deducted from his pay. Realizing that this was over $25.000 that was swindled from him, I urged him to confront Principal in a polite manner with his phone in recording mode and demand that money be repaid or he would make a complaint at the Beijing Tax Bureau. I can't believe how he wimped out and was afraid he would be fired and black-listed by the corrupt principal. LISTEN UP ALL... In situations like this YOU have the leverage and I guarantee you will get every nickel reimbursed if your principal cannot show you original stamped tax receipts with your name and employee name on them. You may not even have been registered as an employee. This is a serious crime they commit when they deduct fake taxes and there are two penalties they face: 1) 90 days suspension of their business licensee (if it is a first offense) and Y100,000 rmb fine. So you have nothing to fear. Just be polite. They will already be embarrassed that you caught them. Assure them you will not say a word to anyone if you get your money back. Over a dozen victims agree with the solution here at r/ChinaJobScams, and all of them got refunded within a week.
Look Before You Leap at https://reddit.com/r/teflscams
jnmoncer

Unread post by jnmoncer »

WARNING - Premier esl recruiting - Tara Choi - AVOID
This is a warning post for anyone thinking of using 'Premier esl recruiting' or the recruiter 'Tara Choi' for finding a teaching position in Korea. I feel the need to warn people so that they dont find themselves in the position i did. This was by far the worst individual ive ever had to deal with in my working life and thats really saying something, I'll list some of the outrageous things this 'recruiter' did so that if you are reading this you dont have too;
- Lied about contacting the Korean embassy in a neighbouring country, and told me to go there and apply for the E2 visa,
- Lied to the school I had signed a contract with about how long the E2 visa would take, meaning they cancelled the offer
- Left me stranded in this neighbouring country, whenever I would ask for an update she would attack me and threaten me, I would have to speak with her on the phone whilst she criticised me for things like not saying thankyou enough?????? She couldnt even do her job and had already lied about so many things at this point but would act like a 5 year old child and demand that i thanked her??
- Once the initial job offer was cancelled due to her lies she tried to force me to sign a contract for a job I had no interest in taking, all because I was basically stranded at this point living in a hotel next to the Korean embassy waiting to fly to Korea.
- My main reason to even move to Korea from the country I had been teaching in was for a job offer in a small coastal town, as i wanted to move from the City and be close to beaches again, this 'recruiter' tried to force me to take a job in Seoul after the initial offer fell through, when she knew the reason for me moving to Korea.
- After I found another job she gave me a lot of abuse and then blocked me
- She got in touch with the original school and made them cancel the E2 visa, and tried to block the letter of release
- She pretended to be the director of the school when my new recruiter would ring and ask for the letter of release. Yes, this grown woman of over 50 years old ,would really impersonate a school director to spite someone for taking a better job offer.
- She spent so much time and energy trying to block the letter of the release being issued for absolutely no reason other than i chose a different recruiter who wasnt insane and could actually do their job properly.
For someone who used to brag about matching over 300 teachers a year to new positions (again, one of the many lies this woman told) you would think loosing one teacher wouldnt matter and she wouldnt of spent weeks trying to make sure they couldnt get a letter of release. Please let this be a warning to anyone thinking of using her as a recruiter. She will lie to you at any opurtunity and has the mental and emotional age of a 5 year old child. She is clearly unstable and a complete narcasist. If anyone would like the name and contact details for some competent recruiters for Korea feel free to send me a message.
AVOID- Premiereslrecruiting.com
AVOID premier esl recruiting
AVOID Tara Choi - esl recruiter