ADVICE

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

limbskars94

ADVICE

Unread post by limbskars94 »

Hi! I’m currently a junior in college and planning on teaching english abroad after I graduate. I’ll have a BS in environmental science and some classroom experience with elementary schoolers as a volunteer during my schooling. I have little language skills outside of being a native english speaker-I know some cantonese and thai because I have studied in Hong Kong and Bangkok. What can I do to make myself a better applicant and eventually a better teacher? Also, i’m planning on South Korea because I LOVE seoul and korean culture. Also, I’ve been told the pay is better and they often help with airfare and housing. Thanks!
Joe
Admin

Re: ADVICE

Unread post by Joe »

Your lucky that you have a BS (Bachelor of Science I presume). Bachelor degrees are required by many countries. This usually has nothing to do with your competency in teaching English but is a default requirement for the GOVERNMENT to issue a work permit.

For your EMPLOYER, they usually do require something more relevant and appropriate than say a Bachelors in Fairy Tales or even a Masters in Aeronautics. Ie, they require a TEFL Certificate, the best of which is a Celta:
https://www.tefl.net/tefl-courses/guide.php
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven