Prospective TEFL teacher

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

janedoemm16

Prospective TEFL teacher

Unread post by janedoemm16 »

Hi everyone, I just have a few questions. I would have referred myself to a FAQ post but I couldn’t find one. I’ve been wanting to do TEFL for quite some time now but have never had the right time to do it or the money. I have that right time now and would like to be as well informed as possible before starting a TEFL course. Below is just an “About me”:

- I’m Jane, I’m 30 and from the UK (British citizen). I live in Manchester, England.

- I’m interested in doing either a CELTA/Trinity TESOL course. I’m not 100% which one is best as the latter has a module called “Unknown Language” while I can’t find one on the CELTA. I’ve done some research on places like i-to-i and TEFL Org but have come across reviews where people have reported they’ve been rejected work because it wasn’t a recognised qualification or something like that? I know if I’m going to do this, I want to do it properly.

- I’m looking to start ASAP and upon completion of the course, I hope to find work overseas. I’m open minded on where I go (preferably Europe or as close as possible e.g. Turkey, Russia, Georgia to name some examples).

- I’ve got GCSEs, 3 A-Levels and a Law (LLB Hons) degree. I have a few questions regarding my degree and TEFL because a lot of employers want someone with a BA/BSC Hons degree. I’m worried I would get rejected for work because of it (it’s a pain going for job interviews because people assume you want to be a lawyer). I remember making enquiries about this a while back regarding working in China and South Korea and they didn’t answer my question.

- My employment history is a little erratic. I’ve had 3 jobs since graduating uni with some gaps in between (those gaps were me relocating and/or job hunting). I lost my last job and have been on long term sick (MH issues which I’ve had treatment for and have now overcome, I now feel motivated to do something with my life). My work experience has mostly been in customer service and office administration. Teaching experience wise, I’m on italki as a community tutor so am providing informal lessons (mostly conversational and giving learners opportunity to practice their English). That’s what has inspired me to pursue this route. Yes, it has been challenging, but it’s rewarding and you’re making a difference to English learners etc. Big career change for me but I want to do something fulfilling rather than sit on my back side in an office for the rest of my life (nothing wrong with that but I’m bored of it).

I’m hoping there’s someone on here who has a similar experience to me and can give me guidance on what I’ve mentioned in my “About me”. I welcome all recommendations on which course and where to do it. I welcome any suggestions on countries. I also welcome any recommendations for job boards once I am qualified and ready to find a job.

I know I’ve written a lot so apologies for that. Also, thank you in advance.
Joe
Admin

Re: Prospective TEFL teacher

Unread post by Joe »

janedoemm16 wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 23:54I would have referred myself to a FAQ post but I couldn’t find one.
This used to be called our TEFL FAQ:
The Definitive Guide to TEFL
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

janedoemm16 wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 23:54I’m interested in doing either a CELTA/Trinity TESOL course. I’m not 100% which one is best as the latter has a module called “Unknown Language” while I can’t find one on the CELTA. I’ve done some research on places like i-to-i and TEFL Org but have come across reviews where people have reported they’ve been rejected work because it wasn’t a recognised qualification or something like that?
Both those courses are gold standard courses. In terms of name recognition world-wide, CELTA probably has the edge.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
odyssey
Rising Star

Unread post by odyssey »

janedoemm16 wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 23:54I’ve got ... and a Law (LLB Hons) degree. I have a few questions regarding my degree and TEFL because a lot of employers want someone with a BA/BSC Hons degree. I’m worried I would get rejected for work because of it (it’s a pain going for job interviews because people assume you want to be a lawyer). I remember making enquiries about this a while back regarding working in China and South Korea and they didn’t answer my question.
A degree is often/usually required simply to get a work permit, so it's a government requirement, not an academic one. On that basis, any university degree is usually acceptable (though you would need to stress it is a university degree since LLB might not be readily understood abroad). In some circumstances you might turn it to your advantage by stressing your interest in/ability to teach Legal English or Business English.