Course books for beginners

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

joros

Course books for beginners

Unread post by joros »

Hi Lucy,
I have just completed a TESOL course via TESOL Direct and am a native English speaker living in the Netherlands. My work background is accountancy. I would like to start giving 1-2-1 lessons or small group lessons with 11/12 year olds who are still very new to English. Most can only say a few sentences. So it would be nothing official, but an "improve your English before high school" kind of thing. I am currently looking for a course book for beginners that I could follow as it seems an awful lot of effort to start from scratch and prepare all the lessons myself. Can you recommend any particular course books. In fact, I would also like to find course books for intermediates and business English in case I can find opportunities in these areas as well.
Many thanks for any help.
Kind regards,
Jo
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Course books for beginners

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi Jo,

I agree that you should go easy on yourself with lesson planning. Here are some resources:

The British Council in co-operation with the BBC have some excellent teaching resources for pre-teens on their website.

https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/teac ... hing-tools

Business one-to-one (published by OUP) is very good.

English File and Headway are good for intermediate students.

HOpe this helps.

Kind regards,

Lucy
AlexFroth

Re: Course books for beginners

Unread post by AlexFroth »

Hi!
I recommend Headway (3rd edition) or Solutions, these make great books for any level!
You can also check out our new site: TEACH-ESL.COM - We make ESL and EFL worksheets for various levels (Intermediate +) and goals. Check out our worksheets at:
https://teach-esl.com/
For now, you can download any worksheet for FREE, all you need is to register :)