TEFL assignment.

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

benji85

TEFL assignment.

Unread post by benji85 »

Hi Guys,

I just joined this forum as Im really struggling with my 120 hour tefl course. I have a grammar lesson plan assignment that I am really stuck on. I have to teach the passive form in present perfect and past simple tenses. But I have no idea after having spent hours in front of the computer without being able to put anything down. I have to link it to a previous listening lesson plan which I have completed. However I can't find any passive or present perfect examples in the listening text from which to base my grammar lesson. I can supply more information if necessary but any help would be most appreciated! Either activities or explanations that I can give to the students! I have attempted to do this by myself but can't seem to start!

Thanks.

Ben.
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL assignment.

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi.

I can't actually do your assignment for you but here's an idea:

Is there any way you could link the topic of the listening lesson to the topic of your lesson on the passive?

Lucy
Abbielou1

Unread post by Abbielou1 »

Hi Ben,

I'm struggling with the exact assignment, only I can't even understand what I am actually supposed to be teaching about in the listening lesson, let alone understand how I am supposed to be teaching passive forms in the past simple and present perfect forms in the grammar lesson.

I'm guessing you've completed this now so would you be able to offer me any help? or even send me your lesson plan examples so I can try and understand what is expected?

Really would appreciate some help.

Thanks,
Abbie.
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

You'll get more targetted help if you tell us more about the listening lesson.

As Lucy said, if there are no examples of the passive in the listening text, can you make a link with the topic instead of the language?
Abbielou1

Ok so the listening lesson does contain the passive form, this is the listening text that we've been provided:

“There have always been stories about animals that bring up children. One of the most famous is the story
of Romulus and Remus; the twin boys who were raised by a wolf. When the brothers grew up they
founded the city of Rome. While this is a legend, there are many modern stories about children being
raised by wolves, which are believed by many people. In an Indian jungle in 1867 a boy was found by
some hunters. They said he was living with wolves – he was about six years old. He was named Dina and
went to live with humans, but he never learned to speak. The wolf-girls Kamala and Amala were also
Indian. Their story was reported by a priest who said the girls were discovered in 1920. Although this
story is widely believed, recent examinations of the account have cast doubt on it. It seems more likely
that the girls were autistic and had been rejected by their family.
There are also stories about human children who were cared for by other types of animal. In 1724 a boy of
about 12 was seen in the forest near Hanover. He was known as Wild Peter. It is unclear what kind of
animal Peter lived with, but he didn't eat meat; he ate tree bark, like deer. This is similar to the story of the
Syrian Gazelle Boy, who was spotted in the desert in 1946. The boy was reported to be living with a herd
of gazelles. He ran very fast on all fours and ate the same food as the gazelles. However, reports about
this child are inconsistent and there is no record of what happened to him.
Marina Chapman is from Colombia and is now about 65. She claims that when she was five she was
kidnapped and ended up living in the jungle with monkeys. After a few years she was rescued by hunters.
As there are no official records, her story can't be disproved, but her original family has never been found.
More recent stories are about children who were neglected by their parents and were looked after by
animals. There are videos on the internet of Oxana, a Ukrainian girl, who moves and behaves very much
like a dog. She was found in 1991 living with the dogs in her parents' backyard. Oxana's case is well documented
and experts agree that for about five years she really lived with dogs.
Many other cases, however, may have little basis in reality.”

The instructions are:
Plan two linked 50 minute lessons (i.e. EACH lesson is 50 minutes long) for the intermediate class described in the class questionnaire (This is a class of 20 Thai students, aged 19-24, English Level B1/B2 and an interest in fashion, pop music and movies)
The first lesson will be a listening lesson, using the text in the document 'listening text'. *Assume that you have a recording of this passage to play in your lesson - you would not need to read it aloud, and students would not be required to read it.
The second lesson will be a grammar lesson on the passive form, starting with examples from the listening text.
The two lesson plans count as one assignment. Please submit both at the same time.

There is a sheet on how to deal with the grammar lesson provided which is this:

The Students in this class are intermediate (B1 moving to B2) level. Assume that the students
have just had the listening lesson and come to the grammar lesson after a short break.
At this stage students would already be familiar with all the past tenses and perfect tenses and
with simple present passive forms – so the form of the passive would be revision.
Examples of present simple passive form:
These phones are made in Korea.
The test is marked by a computer.
In these examples the verb 'to be' is in past simple :
A boy was found by some hunters
The girls were discovered in 1920.
And in these examples the verb 'to be' is in past perfect and present perfect:
The girls had been rejected by their family
Her original family has never been found.
Your lesson will aim to introduce students to passive forms in past simple and present perfect
forms.
You will need to look at MEANING, FORM and PRONUNCIATION.
Begin the lesson with a few examples from the text.
Think about ways you could elicit these forms from the students, rather than just writing them
on the board or putting them on a handout.
Do not spend too much time explaining rules. It is not a lecture, it is a language lesson.
Your focus should be on getting the students to practise using the target language.
Include concept questions, some drilling of short sentences, controlled and freer practice.
You can use any additional visual aids you wish to (pictures, video), but do not use entire
presentations that have been designed by someone else.
Please include copies of visual aids, or links to videos and reference any such material.
You can also use practice activities you have found on the Internet or in teachers' resource
books, providing they fit in well with your lesson, but please provide a reference, even if you have
adapted the material.

but none for the listening lesson. I'm wondering is the purpose of the listening lesson or any listening lesson in language teaching to simply pre-teach vocabulary and pronunciation or do I need to talk about the examples of the passive form in the initial listening lesson as well?

Thank you
Abbie.
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

I see what you mean. It's not an easy one.

I'd take some phrases from the listening, write them on the board with blanks. Ask students to fill in the blanks. Do some work around the passive and ask students to write a text about a similar subject or about the Jungle Book.
Abbielou1

Thanks so much for your help