Is a TEFL qualification worth ANYTHING?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

PhilT

Is a TEFL qualification worth ANYTHING?

Unread post by PhilT »

I did my course in late Nov but did my research by asking the college before I signed up as what could be done with TEFL.
Here we are in late Jan and I'm now finding this certificate isn't worth the paper is written on. I've seen countless article that the industry isn't regulated/recognised

No one accepts it in the UK, and to teach in a college (in the UK ) you need either PTLLS or QTS which I'm now going to have to do. The only way to use this cert is to go abroad.

At the moment I feel like I've been done over!
Someone tell me I'm wrong!
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: Is a TEFL qualification worth ANYTHING?

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there,
PhilT wrote:I'm now finding this certificate isn't worth the paper is written on. ... No one accepts it in the UK, and to teach in a college (in the UK ) you need either PTLLS or QTS which I'm now going to have to do. The only way to use this cert is to go abroad.
First, not all TEFL certificates are created equal. If, as I suspect, you did an online/blended TEFL certificate, then no, it isn't worth the paper it's written on, especially if your goal is/was to teach in the UK. That said, you could definitely find work with it overseas (as long as you're not fussy where and for whom you work).

If, however, you did a reputable, face-to-face course such as the Cambridge CELTA or the Trinity CertTESOL, you should have no problems finding work in a language academy in the UK. I believe colleges would require you to have PTLLS in addition to the TEFL certificate.
PhilT wrote:...but did my research by asking the college before I signed up as what could be done with TEFL.
All this information is readily available online, but sadly, very few people do enough research into the TEFL industry when choosing courses. Providers of online TEFL courses know all this, but their interest goes only as far as selling courses. As a result, many of them will tell prospective buyers exactly what they want to hear.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi PhilT

Briona is right. Online courses and certs are not worth much. If you want to make a serious career out of TEFL, I suggest you do a CELTA or Trinity course.

If you're looking for teaching work in the UK, you're competing with hundreds of candidates who have more experience than you do. It's not an easy country to start out in. Also November to January is a very quiet hiring period in the UK. The best time is the summer for short courses.

Lucy
PhilT

Unread post by PhilT »

Yeah, completely bloody dishonest when asked a question specific question !! I know (now ) from reading on here, I'm far from being the only one !
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

I'll disagree. Yes, for western countries a TEFL certificate isn't worth anything, but if you ever go East it's almost a necessity now.
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

John V55 wrote:I'll disagree. Yes, for western countries a TEFL certificate isn't worth anything...
This is not true. If anything, a TEFL certificate is more of a requirement in the Western world than in the East. However, what matters is the type of the TEFL certificate. Employers look for the CELTA, Trinity CertTESOL, SIT TESOL or Cert IV in TESOL rather than generic online/blended TEFL certificates. This is because of the observed and assessed teaching practice which involves teaching real students (as opposed to your fellow trainees).
John V55 wrote:...but if you ever go East it's almost a necessity now.
Online TEFL certificates are widely accepted in the East, mainly because standards are generally lower there. Many employers have no idea what a CELTA is or how it differs from an online course. However, based on the information the OP gave, none of this is relevant to him. If he wants to work in the UK (or any other native English-speaking country for that matter), an online TEFL certificate is not worth the paper it's written on.
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

Briona wrote:
John V55 wrote:I'll disagree. Yes, for western countries a TEFL certificate isn't worth anything...
This is not true. If anything, a TEFL certificate is more of a requirement in the Western world than in the East. However, what matters is the type of the TEFL certificate. Employers look for the CELTA, Trinity CertTESOL, SIT TESOL or Cert IV in TESOL rather than generic online/blended TEFL certificates. This is because of the observed and assessed teaching practice which involves teaching real students (as opposed to your fellow trainees).
John V55 wrote:...but if you ever go East it's almost a necessity now.
Online TEFL certificates are widely accepted in the East, mainly because standards are generally lower there. Many employers have no idea what a CELTA is or how it differs from an online course. However, based on the information the OP gave, none of this is relevant to him. If he wants to work in the UK (or any other native English-speaking country for that matter), an online TEFL certificate is not worth the paper it's written on.
A PGCE in the west, a TEFL certificate in the East. I’ve never met a teacher in a western state school with only a TEFL certificate and a degree in any subject.
The reason they’re needed in the East is because employers want to know if the applicant has actually stood in front of a group of people and is capable of conducting a class.
If you look at the top six best educationally performing countries in the world, they’re all now in the East. Times change . . . :)
Thismare89

Unread post by Thismare89 »

I am not sure about it.
tenneray
Rising Star

Unread post by tenneray »

Google this link for another view:

Guide to Learning to Teach English as a Foreign Language Online

A Viable Alternative That Can Lead to Jobs Abroad
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is ridiculous to say that online credentials or "mixed" credentials are useless. The CELTA-which is falsely supposed to be the best-is offered online as a blended course. The same can is true for the Trinity Diploma.