Range of Techniques to Present and Reinforce the Meaning of Lexical Items

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

mohtvan831

Range of Techniques to Present and Reinforce the Meaning of Lexical Items

Unread post by mohtvan831 »

Hello All,
I am having kind off a small conundrum with one of my assignment, and was hoping I can get some example or pointers to start on my assignment. Below is the question air that I am having a little difficulty wrapping my head around it, I am not looking for an answer but more of an example as to how to proceed with the answer.

There is a list of 7 vocabulary items below. Your students are intermediate and above. They do not know these words but they may know synonyms or antonyms of these words. How would you best convey the meaning and teach the vocabulary ítems to them? Write a paragraph on each word/words including types of interactive questions which can help accomplish this task. You do not need to restrict your method of conveying meaning to the suggestions in Section 2.6. There are other ways it could be done. Be imaginative!

Aircraft carrier
Yesterday
The moon
Love
Keeping fit
Grandfather
Stamina

thank you
Moht
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Range of Techniques to Present and Reinforce the Meaning of Lexical Items

Unread post by Lucy »

Hello,

A quick answer would be:

Show students a picture of the moon and a picture of the sun.

Point to the sun and say "the sun comes out during the day"

Point to your picture of the moon and say "the moon comes out at night".

This example assumes that students know the words: day, sun, night and come out. They should do as they are intermediate and above.

Interactive questions probably refers to concept check questions. For these, use a good dictionary to look up the word and prepare questions to elicit the vocabulary item you wish to present.

Good luck

Lucy