Online TEFL

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

Ziggy

Online TEFL

Unread post by Ziggy »

Hello!
I've been lurking for some days now.
Im a Greek-American 34 years old, college drop out (family trouble). I am a native speaker.
I have decided to explore the teaching path. I always respected and admired teachers and always wished i had the skills to be one. Then i thought, why do you think you don't? So my English level may not be extremely high, but i am willing to work on that. I am a positive person, my patience is huge and i love working with kids too. I do not have a BA, i do not have a proficiency (working on it), i have the first degree (we used to call it lower) and advanced.

I am reading that the way to go to teach English abroad is a CELTA certificate. I might be able to do that, but its a bit hard. Only one place to do it in Greece and it is pretty expensive.
I was thinking about getting some sort of TEFL online, get a job with that (if i can) and then get a CELTA. What are my chances?

Most importantly, is there a free course of TEFL so i can see what its all about? Maybe i'm not cut out for it, i wanna be sure before i invest in it.
I am excited though!

Thank you!
Ziggy

Re: Online TEFL

Unread post by Ziggy »

I am also reading that with a 4 year college degree, jobs will be easier to find. What about online college degrees? Any experience?