Fork in the road moment. Advice needed!

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

jake290788

Fork in the road moment. Advice needed!

Unread post by jake290788 »

Hi,

I am a 27 year old trainee teacher, working in an academy school in London as a History and SEN teacher. I started training in September 2015 and I am really enjoying it. I was a graduate teaching assistant for a year before starting. The job can be extremely challenging, especially as a large proportion of the students I teach come from very unstable backgrounds. Nevertheless, I'm hooked on teaching and can't see myself doing any other job for the foreseeable future.

My problem is I feel I've reached that 'Fork in the road' moment. The issue is not whether or not I want to teach, but where. I feel like my head is telling me to see it out here in London, even if it means another 2 and a half years to become fully qualified (I'm doing a slightly different training route). However, my heart is leaning more towards the adventure of teaching abroad and trying to make a success of that.

No matter what, I am going to work in my current job until the end of July. That way I have a full year of teaching experience and confidence under my belt. I would really appreciate any advice as to what options I might have available from then with regard to teaching abroad. This is not me wanting to travel and do a bit of teaching to fund it. I've had the backpacker experiences. This is me wanting to find out if I can seriously consider Teaching English abroad as a potential career.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Jake
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Fork in the road moment. Advice needed!

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi,

You could go down the TEFL route, there's loads written about that here.

Have you also thought about teaching in British style schools abroad. I mean the type of school that follows the UK curriculum and that are aimed at the children of expats. It would be in line with your qualifications.

Let us know how your research goes and get in touch if you want further info.

Lucy
jake290788

Unread post by jake290788 »

Thanks for the reply Lucy.

Teaching in British style schools abroad is definitely something I would consider. Would that be possible even if I haven't achieved qualified teacher status here in the UK?

Jake
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

Best to get your qualification first. I don't think it's possible without them.

Lucy