Telf Assignment: hobbies

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

Baxter26

Telf Assignment: hobbies

Unread post by Baxter26 »

I have to submit a lesson plan with the objective of learning and practicing the vocabulary of hobbies and to revise adverbs of frequency. I made silly mistakes on my previous attempts and i only have one attempt left so I am a little hesitant to submit this new attempt. I was wondering if this lesson plan is good enough to submit.

Lesson plan: hobbies vocabulary
Preparation
Level: elementary
Objective: to learn and practice the vocabulary of hobbies and to revise adverbs of frequency.
Target language: read/s books, paint/s pictures, swim/s, cook/s, dance/s, garden/s, sew/s, knit/s, play/s video games, ride/s horses, ride/s bike.
Assumed knowledge: they know basic sentence structure using adverbs of frequency. (Subject + adverb of frequency (often, sometimes, rarely, weekly, daily).
Preparation and aids:
-picture cards featuring images of actions the words they will learn.
-word search for homework.
Anticipated problem: students may want to use dancing but not dance.
Solution: lead them to use the correct sentence structure. ‘Sally swims often’.

Lesson Plan
Warmer: hang man with the adverbs of frequency (often, sometimes, rarely, weekly, daily) on the board. (T-S)(5 minutes).
Concept check the students remember the meaning.
Ask the class what tasks they would do daily? e.g.: brush hair, brush teeth, get dressed, shower.
Ask the class what tasks they would do weekly? e.g: grocery shopping.
Ask the class what tasks they would often do? E.g: exercise, walk the dog, visit friends.
Ask the class what tasks they would rarely do: go to the doctor, go to the dentist.
Ask the class what tasks they would sometimes do: go to the park.
(These answers will be up to the students and what was covered in the lesson on adverbs of frequency)

Lead-in: draw a stick figure on board and name it with the class (eg: Sally). Discuss with the class about the stick figure. Tell the class that Sally likes to keep very busy, in her free time she likes to do many fun activities. She regularly does these activities.
‘What are these activities called?’
‘Sally has many ______’
Elicit the word ‘hobbies’. Tell the class that hobbies are activities, or interest that people do in their spare time for fun and relaxation. Hobbies are done more than once, they can be done daily, weekly, often, sometimes or even rarely but need to be done every so often.
Concept checking questions:
‘Do people do hobbies as a job?’
‘If a person does an activity once and never again, is it a hobby?’
‘Is a hobby a fun activity?’
‘Is a hobby a stressful activity?’
Drill the words ‘hobbies and hobby’ and sentence, ‘Sally has many hobbies’, chorally.
Write the word ‘hobby/ hobbies’ on the board as a heading.
(T-S)(10 minutes)

Presentation:
Explain that there are many different hobbies and that the class will be learning a few that Sally is interested in today.
Present the new vocabulary using the flash cards. Eg: the card of a person reading. Using the flash cards elicit the new vocabulary from the students.
Feed the word to the students the words if they do not know the word.
In order to get the correct form of the word lead the students to the correct grammatical structure.
Lead the students with, “Sally ____”

With each new word discuss the hobby and ask concept checking questions.
Some lead questions to ask:
-“Does anyone have the same hobby?”
-“What do you need to do this activity?”
-“Can this activity be done inside or outside or both?”
-“How often can some do activity like this and why?”

Drill the word.
Write the word on the board.
(T-S ) (20 minutes)

Production: Break up the students in to pairs and tell them they need to come up this two sentences per pair (one each). Tell the class the can use details that they came up with from the previous stage and that they need to include an adverb of frequency. When they are done making their sentences they will tell the class out loud. And the teacher will write the sentences on the board.
Come up this an example sentence with the class and write it on the board.
Eg: Sally often rides horses in the park.
(T-S, PW, S-T) (10 minutes)

Homework: word search with the new vocabulary.
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Telf Assignment: hobbies

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi,

I've inserted my comments in red. Hope it helps.

Lucy

I have to submit a lesson plan with the objective of learning and practicing the vocabulary of hobbies and to revise adverbs of frequency. I made silly mistakes on my previous attempts and i only have one attempt left so I am a little hesitant to submit this new attempt. I was wondering if this lesson plan is good enough to submit.

Lesson plan: hobbies vocabulary
Preparation
Level: elementary
Objective: to learn and practice the vocabulary of hobbies and to revise adverbs of frequency.
Target language: read/s books, paint/s pictures, swim/s, cook/s, dance/s, garden/s, sew/s, knit/s, play/s video games, ride/s horses, ride/s bike.
Assumed knowledge: they know basic sentence structure using adverbs of frequency. (Subject + adverb of frequency (often, sometimes, rarely, weekly, daily).
Preparation and aids:
-picture cards featuring images of actions the words they will learn.
-word search for homework.
Anticipated problem: students may want to use dancing but not dance. This is correct usage

Solution: lead them to use the correct sentence structure. ‘Sally swims often’.
What about Sally often swims, Sally often goes swimming?

Lesson Plan
Warmer: hang man with the adverbs of frequency (often, sometimes, rarely, weekly, daily) on the board. (T-S)(5 minutes).
Concept check the students remember the meaning.
Ask the class what tasks they would do daily? e.g.: brush hair, brush teeth, get dressed, shower.
Ask the class what tasks they would do weekly? e.g: grocery shopping.
Ask the class what tasks they would often do? E.g: exercise, walk the dog, visit friends.
Ask the class what tasks they would rarely do: go to the doctor, go to the dentist.
Ask the class what tasks they would sometimes do: go to the park.
(These answers will be up to the students and what was covered in the lesson on adverbs of frequency)
How will you handle this? Pairs, groups, whole class?

Lead-in: draw a stick figure on board and name it with the class (eg: Sally). Discuss with the class about the stick figure. Tell the class that Sally likes to keep very busy, in her free time she likes to do many fun activities. She regularly does these activities.
‘What are these activities called?’
‘Sally has many ______’
Elicit the word ‘hobbies’.
How exactly will you elicit the word hobby? Eg using pictures.
Tell the class that hobbies are activities, or interest that people do in their spare time for fun and relaxation. Hobbies are done more than once, they can be done daily, weekly, often, sometimes or even rarely but need to be done every so often.
You’re assuming that students know the word “hobby” so I wouldn’t tell the class this, I’d elicit it as you’ve done below. Eg are hobbies jobs? Do people have hobbies for fun or work?
Concept checking questions:
‘Do people do hobbies as a job?’
‘If a person does an activity once and never again, is it a hobby?’
‘Is a hobby a fun activity?’
‘Is a hobby a stressful activity?’
Drill the words ‘hobbies and hobby’ and sentence, ‘Sally has many hobbies’, chorally.
Write the word ‘hobby/ hobbies’ on the board as a heading.
(T-S)(10 minutes)

Presentation:
Explain that there are many different hobbies and that the class will be learning a few that Sally is interested in today.
Present the new vocabulary using the flash cards. Eg: the card of a person reading. Using the flash cards elicit the new vocabulary from the students.
Feed the word to the students the words if they do not know the word.
In order to get the correct form of the word lead the students to the correct grammatical structure.
Lead the students with, “Sally ____”
What are you expecting here? Sally enjoys reading? Sally likes reading?

With each new word discuss the hobby and ask concept checking questions.
Some lead questions to ask:
-“Does anyone have the same hobby?”
-“What do you need to do this activity?”
-“Can this activity be done inside or outside or both?”
-“How often can some do activity like this and why?”
I don’t think you need to check the concept here because you have shown them a picture.

Drill the word. Probably not necessary
Write the word on the board.
(T-S ) (20 minutes)

Production: Break up the students in to pairs and tell them they need to come up this two sentences per pair (one each). Tell the class the can use details that they came up with from the previous stage and that they need to include an adverb of frequency. When they are done making their sentences they will tell the class out loud. And the teacher will write the sentences on the board.
Come up this an example sentence with the class and write it on the board.
I think you need to rephrase/rewrite these instructions
Eg: Sally often rides horses in the park. This phrase isn’t authentic English
(T-S, PW, S-T) (10 minutes)

Homework: word search with the new vocabulary. I think a word search is too easy after all the exercises you’ve done.
Baxter26

Unread post by Baxter26 »

Thank-you very much
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

You're welcome. I hope it helped.