CRB Check TEFL China (qualifications)

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

Yanloho

CRB Check TEFL China (qualifications)

Unread post by Yanloho »

Hi I am thinking of applying for a TEFL Teacher training course in China. I do not have a degree however I have a BTEC Level 3 in computing and all of my GCSE's and spent 2 years at University which I left to join the Armed Forces. Also I have a few issues on my CRB as to carrying a class A substance (coke) at a Student festival (Beach break)for which I was cautioned. (There is a story behind it however I took the rap)
I have MoD Security Clearance as I have previously served with the Army and can obtain a copy if needed. Will this enable me to Teach TEFL in china? (i.e would MoD Security clearance overwrite a standard-enhanced CRB or would it not be a problem given it not being a conviction and only being a caution which is spent immediately.)

This would also be a long term movement and not a short 4-6 month stay.

Kind Regards
Yanloho
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: CRB Check TEFL China (qualifications)

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there,

To work in China long-term, you will need to get a Z Visa, and one of the requirements for this is a degree (which can be in anything). If you don't have a degree, your chances of finding legal work are pretty low. Unfortunately, that's the case not just for China but for most of Asia.

A DBS check (formerly CRB) is only available to UK employers. However, overseas employers might ask you to get a police check from Disclosure Scotland or similar to support your teaching application. I don't know whether a caution would show up on this, but if it did, it would undoubtedly render you ineligible to teach in certain countries.

Unfortunately, between the criminal record and the lack of recognised qualifications, there are very few options open to you. I'd recommend applying for a police check (https://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/ba ... /index.htm) first and foremost to see whether the caution shows up, and then reassessing your options.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
Yanloho

Unread post by Yanloho »

Thanks Briona if the caution does show up will that bar me from teaching?

I "Believe" however am not 100% sure it will show up on a Full or advanced on whatever they call it but not on a basic. If it doesn't show up on a basic will that suffice to teach?

Cheers Yan
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

Hi again,

As an individual you can only apply for a basic disclosure. Enhanced disclosures need to be applied for through a UK employer. If the caution doesn't show up on the basic disclosure, I imagine it would be accepted by overseas employers. Note that for the certificate to be deemed valid, it would usually need to be less than three months old.

In your situation I would apply for a basic disclosure to see what shows up. Regardless of what shows up, you may find that a police check is not required by the employer. However, it's always good to know what's on your record, just in case.

As I suggested in my previous post, there are very few places where those without a degree can legally teach. Most of Asia is a no-go as a degree is a requirement of the work visa. Likewise, the Middle East. While European employers don't necessarily require a degree, many will still on you having one. Furthermore, most teachers in the region have a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL as opposed to an online/blended TEFL certificate. This makes finding work with minimal qualifications a lot more difficult.

To my mind, your best bet would be South America. Wages are fairly low but there's plenty of work available. The one major downside is that work tends not to be found from abroad. You really need to be on the ground handing out CVs at an appropriate time.

Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, please ask.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar