How can TEFL help me?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

Yagna

How can TEFL help me?

Unread post by Yagna »

Hi,

I'm Dr.Yagna,from India. I'm currently staying in Indonesia. I'm a dental surgeon with a bachelor's degree in BDS,dentistry. So my subject in my graduation is science. And I'm looking forward to start up my career with teaching science. I'm really keen on pursuing teaching as my career,though I don't have a degree in teaching education.
So can you please help me know if pursuing TEFL can help me get into a Job in teaching or simply,in which way can it help me?

Thank you,

Yagna
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: How can TEFL help me?

Unread post by John V55 »

I’m left wondering what your Doctorate is in, as you mention you only have a Bachelor’s degree. TEFL is for those teaching the English language and although a Doctorate and a TEFL certificate would guarantee you work, not being a native English speaker is the main handicap. Aside from that, you’re way over qualified for TEFL. You don’t need a degree to be a qualified teacher, a specifically designed diploma course to qualify as a teacher is what you should aim for, which will enable you to teach science.
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: How can TEFL help me?

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Dr Yagna,

A TEFL qualification prepares people to teach English as a Foreign Language. As you plan to teach science, it won't help you. I suggest you research qualifications for teaching science but first of all think about which age group you wish to teach: high school, university.....

Lucy