Building up one-to-one teaching

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

nyasaguy

Building up one-to-one teaching

Unread post by nyasaguy »

I am an ex-primary school teacher, recently retrained as a TEFL teacher. I have a regular daily IELTS class and have done a variety of other classes as cover, including CLIL sessions.

Anyway, I want to build up a group of regular 1 to 1 teaching sessions here in central London before trying working abroad. I know I can 'drop hints' to students in my class, but the school would frown on this.

What other ways are there to advertise for or ... 'gather' students?
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Building up one-to-one teaching

Unread post by Lucy »

How about an ad in the local paper? On a bulletin board in a library, bookshop, school? Craigslist or any other similar site that may be used by students. A paper or magazine aimed at foreigners who live in London. Just basically put up ads where foreigners / people wanting to learn English might hang out.
MarkTeacher

Unread post by MarkTeacher »

Hey Lucy,
I have been freelance all my career... for about 7 years now... what about making a website to support your publicity indicating how you are different for the rest? I also got students by putting ads up on notice boards around the city in Spain I used to live in. Like craigslist, I also got students from putting ads on Loquo and Mundo anuncio. I also at the moment seem to get a lot of students contact me from English Club website online.

Good luck!
English classes via Skype with native teachers, free trial: http://www.clasesinglesonline.com
Howard

Unread post by Howard »

Make a website its a good idea - in our time its the best way of promotion, you can do blogging it will be interesting to you and to your future students!