CCQs & Timelines

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

maytaurus

CCQs & Timelines

Unread post by maytaurus »

Hi, Lucy!

Please help! I'm really having a hard time formulating good concept check questions (CCQs) for the following lexical items / structures and functions:
1. reliable
2. a vandal
3. fortunately
4. I'm playing tennis with my brother on Sunday.
5. If he had studied more, he would have passed the exam.
6. You should see a doctor.
7. I wish I lived in a hot country.

Could you help me as well in making timelines for items 4-7.

This is intended for upper intermediate students ages 25 and above in a special English class.

I look forward to your kind assistance.

Thank you very much and more power!

May
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: CCQs & Timelines

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear May,

A simple tip for creating concept check questions (CCQs) is to look up the lexical item in a good dictionary. Base your CCQs on the definition you find there. A good grammar book can be used in the same way to create CCQs for structures and functions. Many good grammar books also have time lines.

I suggest you try the above. I can't give you actual CCQs because this looks like an assessment question to me. Assessment has to be your own work.

Lucy
bemyself

Unread post by bemyself »

Dear Lucy,

May I take some of your time? I'm working hard on my thesis' topic about THE EFFECTIVENESS OF CCQs in teaching grammar.

Though I have spent quite a lot of time to find books and articles , be honest I have got one book called Grammar and Timelines and a lot short texts (not be added in references). I do not have much experience in searching or teaching, but I like teaching a lot. hence, I'm trying everyday.

Pls recommend some good sources including books and/or articles for me to have more ideas.
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi,

Do you want more ideas about teaching in general? or specifically about the theory of CCQs and timelines?

I don't know of any books that focus only on the theory of CCQs and timelines. I just did a quick internet search and didn't find a book wholly dedicated to that.

Could you please let us know what you wish to research?

Lucy