TEFL essay thinking behind the lesson plan

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

melsida

TEFL essay thinking behind the lesson plan

Unread post by melsida »

Hello I am studying TEFL course . This is the lesson plan that I have written. I need that you will point my weak points that I will work on them.
Time and length of lesson: 60 minutes
Level of Class (ie Beginner): Elementary
Number of Students 10 students
Make up of the class: (ie age, nationalities, mixed abilities?) 8 -10 years old, male and female
Aims of the lesson By the end of this lesson, students will be able to:
• Produce sentences in the present simple affirmative.
• Transform present simple sentences in the third person singular.
Secondary aims of the lesson • Students will learn new verbs
WILF: Students to be able to understand and use the target language and to practice

WALT: To be able to use correct form of present simple

Assumptions about the class: Prior knowledge: - Some simple actions, e.g. having a shower, doing homework, getting up early etc.
Anticipated difficulties: Students may have learned a different meaning/use of the present simple which may cause confusion. Third person participle may be new for some students and frequency words, which have varying patterns, may also be confusing. Another problem will be the language barrier which can be sorted by encouraging the proper mastering of English.
Strategies to overcome difficulties: Explain that there are several variations of the present simple. Briefly cover third person participle. List frequency words on the board for students to take notes.
Materials to be used: Flashcards(1 example), worksheets 1 (1 example), worksheet 2 (1 example), worksheet 3(10 examples), worksheet 4 (10 examples), whiteboard, music, a ball

5min
Warm-up: Begin by playing “Verb shouts/Verb acting”. The teacher should cut the flashcard from Flashcard 1 and show it one by one, when a student guesses what is in the picture they should shout the verb (f.ex. run, cycle, read.)

15min
Presentation: Teacher presents the formation of present simple (Subject+Verb1+Object) using the whiteboard by presenting worksheet 1.

Teacher brings examples with pronouns and shows when the verb changes by adding s, es or ies in the end of the 3rd person singular (he, she, it) bringing examples on the whiteboard using worksheet 2.

Teacher clearly presents the difference between the usage of I, you, we , they and he, she , it.

Teacher seeks choral response from the student by making a sentence with a verb go.

Teacher uses more examples to illustrate the above.

10min
Practice
Give each student a copy from worksheet 3. Here students have to put the verbs in the present simple, third person singular with basic action verbs. Teacher gives clear instructions and a demonstration about the activity.
After every student reads one example and the other students should check chorally if the verb is correct or no and in the end the teacher provides the right example.
10 min
Students highlight when to add -s to the verb through exercise on the Worksheet 4. They work individually first and check their answers with their partners -Check the answers with the whole class.
Practice saying the example sentences. Focus on the pronunciation of the -s ending: (f.ex the /s/ sound in play-plays)

10min
Production-Separate students to two groups -Give each group the daily routine flash cards -Allow them to make sentences in their group according to the nouns of the pictures.
Who finishes the first that group wins.
Students check their sentences with the other group.
- Write some of the mistakes sts made during their free practice - Elicit the correct answers from the sts

8min
Production 2
Teacher gives clear instructions about the activity
Teacher gives the ball to one of the students and then plays the music and when the music stops, the student who holds the ball is expected to stand up and tell the whole class what he or she does every day, say, “I sweep the floor every day.”
The rest of the students are required to tell what that particular student does every day in the following way: He sweeps the floor every day.
The above will go on for several rounds.

2mins

Wrap up: Feedback from STS what was learned in this lesson
Good bye

The following questions should be answered in the written assignment.
Why have you structured the lesson in the way you have?
Expalanation on why you have chosen the topic, including what you understand about this topic with regards to your learners, and the challenges this topic may present.
What each activity will contribute towards the learning aims and how it will be achieved?
Other activities that you considered including and why you chose not to use them?
What you would do if any of your activities in the way you have planned?
Any other thoughts and ideas that you have to support your lesson plan.

ESSAY
The lesson plan is designed for elementary students in ESL grammar class in a regular classroom. There are 60 students in the class. The students are between 8-10 years old. The focus of this grammar class is on how to use the simple present tense that indicates daily routine in the third person singular. This is the first time that students will be learning the third-person singular and asked to put on –s at the end of verbs. The students will learn the basic sentence the basic sentence order (S+V+O) using the simple present tense with a subject pronouns. For this lesson they will learn only how to make affirmative sentences. Of course I will need to teach students how to make negative sentences and questions, but it is important for them to learn new information step by step. I will use this same structure to teach the negative and question forms in my next classes. Teaching tenses in general are challenging, verb tenses are difficult for most EFL students so I should provide the relaxed atmosphere that students will concentrate fully. Most common challenges for students when using the present simple: first, some irregular verbs may confuse students. For instance, the verb ‘have‘ and ‘be‘ have different forms in the simple present (has, am, are,…) A second concern is related to the dropping of the ‘s’ of the third person singular which many students seem to forget . Another difficulty is the spelling of the forms that take the ‘s’ of the third person singular. Sometimes, only ‘s‘ is added (close – closes) while in some forms ‘es’ is added (watch – watches.)
At the beginning of this plan, I chose to have a warm up activity by making the students to pronounce verbs shown on the pictures. Using visual method will help students to remember the verbs that they already learned. I am using PPP method of lesson plan. In this lesson, I will first teach the students, the formation of Present Simple, This will introduce students to the form of the Present Tense. This technique follows the deductive approach. Once the students are comfortable speaking about their own basic daily activities, I will introduce the third person singular for 'he' and 'she' which will prove the most difficult for students. With the help of whiteboard I will explain how to construct sentences with subject pronouns and to give an idea of verbs when they change in the 3rd person singular. Teacher usually uses deductive approach when teaching grammar so that the students are clear about the rules. I allocate 15 minutes for the presentation so that I have enough time to teach all of the rules and give students time to remember the rules. This is important part of the lesson and it needs more time compare to other stages.
Once I have introduced the tense, and used the whiteboard to explain forms, I will continue teaching the present simple tense through activities which use the present simple in context.
For practice I allocate 20 minutes for the exercise and a game. The purpose of the exercise is to activate student’s schema and review simple present tense using the subject pronoun. I chose to design another guided practice where students can test their understanding of the new forms without necessarily memorizing structure. Students are asked to work on an exercise where they are supposed to fill in with the correct form of the verb in the present simple, and to underline the time signals to understand their importance as indicator of tense. I chose this exercise because it will help students to associate meaning with form at this stage while focus is mainly on the form The focus of form approach introduced in the exercise combines formal instruction and communicative language use. Students will also be introduced to the rule of adding (s, es, ies) to the verb. By going through good amount of examples students will be able to know of these verbs to utilize throughout the lesson.
The second worksheet is the comprehension check of the verbs in the third person singular. The activity is used to test students understanding of the simple present verbs that take “s” in the third person singular and verbs in base form in the first person singular form. Students work individually and complete fill-in the blanks exercise then they check answers with the whole class.
Students have learned to recognize the present simple, as well as understand the form in comprehension activities. It's time to continue by having students use the present simple to describe their own lives in spoken form.
Now it's time for the students to actively use the new skills I've taught them. I plan two activities to keep the class fun and interesting.
Next the production stage is 18 minutes which consists of two parts. In the first activity I will separate students into two groups. They will have daily routine flashcards. They should look at the picture and talk about it trying to make sentences in their group according to the nouns of the pictures. Students should tell their answers ones they are finished. The activity helps activate the vocabulary schemata of the students and group work increases the interaction among students.
In the second part of the production students will have fun activity with a ball and a music. Teacher explains that once the music is stopped, the student holds the ball should say something that he does regularly and the other students are required to tell what that particular student does every day in the following way : “He cleans his teeth every day.” This exercise will help students to have free production and discover new things about each other and to practice present simple tense.
During the last two minutes of class I will ask students to reflect on the lesson and write down what they’ve learned.
In conclusion, I had considered various aspects when planning this lesson: approaches, adaptation of activities, students level and age and prior knowledge and level of the activities some of the fundamental aspects of lesson.
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL essay thinking behind the lesson plan

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Melsida,

I have started inserting my comments below. I stopped at the production stage.

Best,

Lucy

Time and length of lesson: 60 minutes
Level of Class (ie Beginner): Elementary
Number of Students 10 students
Make up of the class: (ie age, nationalities, mixed abilities?) 8 -10 years old, male and female
• Transform present simple sentences in the third person singular. What is this?
Secondary aims of the lesson • Students will learn new verbs Which verbs? What type of verbs?
WILF: Students to be able to understand and use the target language and to practice

WALT: To be able to use correct form of present simple

Assumptions about the class: Prior knowledge: - Some simple actions, e.g. having a shower, doing homework, getting up early etc.
Anticipated difficulties:
Students may have learned a different meaning/use of the present simple which may cause confusion. I don’t think so, if they are elementary
Third person participle may be new for some students and frequency words (these have not been mentioned in your aims), which have varying patterns, may also be confusing. Another problem will be the language barrier which can be sorted by encouraging the proper mastering of English. ?????
Strategies to overcome difficulties: Explain that there are several variations of the present simple. What does this mean?
Briefly cover third person participle. List frequency words on the board for students to take notes.
Materials to be used: Flashcards(1 example), worksheets 1 (1 example), worksheet 2 (1 example), worksheet 3(10 examples), worksheet 4 (10 examples), whiteboard, music, a ball

5min
Warm-up: Begin by playing “Verb shouts/Verb acting”. The teacher should cut the flashcard from Flashcard 1 and show it one by one, when a student guesses what is in the picture they should shout the verb (f.ex. run, cycle, read.) okay

15min
Presentation: Teacher presents the formation of present simple (Subject+Verb1+Object) using the whiteboard by presenting worksheet 1. I don’t know if this is okay because I can’t see the worksheet

Teacher brings examples with pronouns and shows when the verb changes by adding s, es or ies in the end of the 3rd person singular (he, she, it) bringing examples on the whiteboard using worksheet 2. You could find a way to elicit this.

Teacher clearly presents the difference between the usage of I, you, we , they and he, she , it.

Teacher seeks choral response from the student by making a sentence with a verb go. This isn’t clear. Maybe give an example. It’s not very communicative.

Teacher uses more examples to illustrate the above.

10min
Practice
Give each student a copy from worksheet 3. Here students have to put the verbs in the present simple, third person singular with basic action verbs. Teacher gives clear instructions and a demonstration about the activity.
After every student reads one example and the other students should check chorally if the verb is correct or no and in the end the teacher provides the right example.
10 min
Students highlight when to add -s to the verb through exercise on the Worksheet 4. They work individually first and check their answers with their partners -Check the answers with the whole class.
Practice saying the example sentences. Focus on the pronunciation of the -s ending: (f.ex the /s/ sound in play-plays) If you want to cover pronunciation, you should cover the various ways “s” is pronounced in the third person singular.

I’ve stopped my comments here. I can help further if you need it.
melsida

Unread post by melsida »

• Transform present simple sentences in the third person singular. (I wrote this because it is my aim that the students will learn to make sentences in the third person singular.)
Secondary aims of the lesson • Students will learn new verbs Which verbs? What type of verbs ?(daily routine verbs. Should I mention this?)
Third person participle may be new for some students and frequency words (these have not been mentioned in your aims), which have varying patterns, may also be confusing. Another problem will be the language barrier which can be sorted by encouraging the proper mastering of English. ????? (Yes I forgot to mention this)
Presentation: Teacher presents the formation of present simple (Subject+Verb1+Object) using the whiteboard by presenting worksheet 1. I don’t know if this is okay because I can’t see the worksheet (I couldn't attach here the worksheet)
Teacher seeks choral response from the student by making a sentence with a verb go. This isn’t clear. Maybe give an example. It’s not very communicative.(How I should bring an example?)
Can you please check the rest and the essay also?
I am going to pass the test soon so I want to know if I can write the appropriate plan and essay or I will fail.
Thanks a lot for your support, you are the only teacher that helps me even the course tutor doesn't help me.
melsida

Unread post by melsida »

Thanks, dear Lucy for your comments
You are the only teacher that helps me.
Please, can you continue and check my essay too.
Transform present simple sentences in the third person singular. What is this? This is the lesson aim that the students can form sentences in the third person singular by adding s or es or ies to the verbs.
Secondary aims of the lesson • Students will learn new verbs Which verbs? What type of verbs? Daily routine verbs
Students may have learned a different meaning/use of the present simple which may cause confusion. I don’t think so, if they are elementary As they know only the structure am/is /are they will have some difficulty to use and learn new verbs and put them in present simple.
Third person participle may be new for some students and frequency words (these have not been mentioned in your aims), which have varying patterns, may also be confusing.Yes I didn't mention this. Another problem will be the language barrier which can be sorted by encouraging the proper mastering of English. ????? I mean here that their L1 grammar might be a problem for this lesson.
Explain that there are several variations of the present simple. What does this mean? Verb to be and other verbs.
kdammers
Rising Star

Unread post by kdammers »

Re Literature Review Writer:" They say they "check them [the essays their experts have written] for plagiarism, so you could pass Turnitin" That last part (passing Turnitin) tells you that this is primarily aimed at students who WANT to plagiarize by handing in the essay that this company's writers has prepared for them. Doing this is unethical and cheats other students who actually do their own work. Don't buy your way to a degree. You shouldn't have someone take your exams for you, so don't have someone write your term papers for you.
kdammers
Rising Star

Re: TEFL essay thinking behind the lesson plan: number of students

Unread post by kdammers »

It looks like your essay should be about your class and lesson plan. Why does the plan say ten whereas the essay says sixty students?