FEMINISM

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

MARIAJORTIN

FEMINISM

Unread post by MARIAJORTIN »

WHY DO I HAVE TO BE A FEMINIST WOMAN

Right from its birth, feminism has been attacked by men and also by some women as if it were a threat to them: this is a great mistake because feminism has advanced our society's ethical standards.
On one hand, feminism has managed many achievements. It got women's vote, it has made it possible for women to study, to have jobs thereby improving the economic situation of their families. As a result of that, many of them have become independent.
On the other hand, does feminism go against somebody? No, absolutely not. Does feminism go against something? Yes, of course, it runs against sexism which is a scary type of discrimination which defends its privileges stubbornly.
Even so, men can rest at easy, no feminist person will cut their body parts or throw acid over their faces. Nobody will forbid them to open a bank account and nor will they force them to keep their hair long. This is because feminism doesn’t go against anybody but against unfairness, inequality, abuse and mistreatment against women.
Some still believe that this stream can go back, but nowadays, the march is unstoppable. Of course, this evolution will be different in each kind of society. However, the world is now globalized, so I definitely believe that women are going to achieve their rights sooner or later. I hope it can be sooner.
When feminism becomes widespread, societies will be fairer and both women and men, will have won our own respect and the respect of others. However, we should support this battle because as the saying goes: Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And union means strength.
Jan135

Re: FEMINISM

Unread post by Jan135 »

I did my own recearch on the topic. Seem to me that femininsm is "fighting" for the right cause, but it's also often misunderstood. It's not only about equal rights, it's also about safety in everyday activities. For example, to test car's safety systems and airbags, they are running crash tests, using manniquins based on an average male body. All the data that they get from the crash tests is being used to engineer cars that are safe exclusively for men. Because of that, when a major crash occur, a man has tremendously higher chance of survining than a woman.
PatrickSt

Unread post by PatrickSt »

Thanks for this interesting info and thought. For me feminism is very interesting topic, and when I have some free time, I read to different articles, history of it, and so on. To be honest, i still don't know how I feel about it, and I'd say that I'm rather neutral. But I think that when I know more info, I'll be able to say whether I support it, or not
Zivilyn

Unread post by Zivilyn »

The effect of any issues in current wave of feminism is amplified by the fact that it has mainstream power, unlike any of the previous waves, e.g. strongly influencing things like corporate trainings and which views are considered unacceptable. This is also the reason why feminism barely changes the status quo - it is the status quo - you'd need more courage to say that men have advantages over women in something, than that they are equal or women have advantage (e.g. mainstream media like BBC can have a bunch of articles that women make better leaders, and everyone probably heard that google firing case).
leon99
Rising Star

Unread post by leon99 »

You do not have to be a feminist woman, nor does anyone have to be a feminist solely based on their gender. Feminism is a belief in gender equality and the advocacy for equal rights and opportunities for all genders.
AwallsELT

Unread post by AwallsELT »

The word feminist started out as a term for a woman fighting for equality with men. Nowadays it has taken on connotations of being an angry woman who wants men to suffer in the way that women did, though some claim it is still about equality and that only. Through a descriptivist lens, I'd say that a word has all the meanings that are commonly ascribed to it. Therefore a feminist may be someone who wants equality for women and it may also be the kind of person that wants men to suffer.

I don't know, the obvious solution to me seems to be to say that you support gender equality rather than saying you support feminism.