What do you think of a part time teaching job and a business? - Need some advice

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

johanet812

What do you think of a part time teaching job and a business? - Need some advice

Unread post by johanet812 »

Our institution hired a new teacher part time but is having struggles with her finances cause his husband is having a hard time finding a new job after getting laid off. We can't offer her a full-time role yet cause she's still on probation.

She's thinking of having a side gig but couldn't leverage what it would best. I sent here a couple of small business ideas e.g online tutoring, virtual assistant, etc - for reference.

But I want to know from a teacher's perspective. Any teachers here who have a small business? Really looking forward to your inputs. So we can help her.
FrancesDav

Re: What do you think of a part time teaching job and a business? - Need some advice

Unread post by FrancesDav »

This is a good topic for discussion. I want to say that an idea is the best commodity in the world. So thanks for sharing. My opinion is that now there are many tools for business development and you can try to open your own company.
leon99
Rising Star

Re: What do you think of a part time teaching job and a business? - Need some advice

Unread post by leon99 »

It's wonderful that you're trying to help your part-time teacher during a challenging financial period. Many teachers do engage in side gigs or small businesses to supplement their income.
amandaorl

Unread post by amandaorl »

If your business requires a physical location, carefully consider the choice of location. The right location can significantly impact your accessibility to customers and operational efficiency. Develop a strong branding strategy that includes a memorable logo, website, and marketing materials. SEOMoz says to establish an online presence through social media and create a marketing plan to reach your target audience effectively. Explore the types of insurance your business may require, such as liability insurance, property insurance, or worker's compensation. Adequate insurance coverage can protect your business from unforeseen risks.
eggshell

Unread post by eggshell »

A few teacher friends of mine actually run small online tutoring businesses on the side. As long as she sets boundaries for her time, it could be a good fit while keeping costs low to run. Something like that or online translations might work well since she can fit sessions into her schedule.