Freelance writer question: common ESL job interview questions

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

katbwriter

Freelance writer question: common ESL job interview questions

Unread post by katbwriter »

Hi, I’m a freelance writer and ESL teacher who’s working on an article about job interview questions ESL teachers get asked, both in online ESL companies and brick-and-mortar classrooms. Can you tell me which interview questions are commonly asked, and, if you’ve taught abroad, how different job interviews are in other countries?

Thanks in advance.
22englishsam

Re: Freelance writer question: common ESL job interview questions

Unread post by 22englishsam »

Often for ESL roles I am asked things like "How would you deal with the following situation" usualy the situations are things like students who are falling behind, misbehaving or not listening in class. Another quewstion I often asked as an interviewer is regarding experience in other feilds and how that experience helps them as a teacher.

These days I have also been asked about my experience teaching online.
oneota
Rising Star

Re: Freelance writer question: common ESL job interview questions

Unread post by oneota »

I'll second each of 22englishsam's answers. In addition, you might be asked about cultural mistakes you've made and what you've learned from them. Also, what is the hardest part of ... teaching youngsters, teaching abroad, teaching online, living abroad. What methods do you use; what is your teaching philosophy, have you learned a second language (as an adult).

You can also expect the standard general job-interview questions, such as greatest strengths/weaknesses, tell me about yourself, why should we choose you over the other highly qualified applicants, have you ever been let go, why do you have this gap in your resume, how soon can you start, may we contact your current employer, what are your educational and job histories (It doesn't matter that these are on your resume and maybe in your cover letter; this is the chance to mention things that the school especially is looking for).

Overseas positions will ask questions that are not allowed in the U.S., e.g., age and marital status. Salary is brought up much sooner, if it isn't in the job listing.