How to make your students participate at a online lesson

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

omerfurkanp

How to make your students participate at a online lesson

Unread post by omerfurkanp »

Hello, I wanted to ask how to make students participate during a online lesson. I think it is harder than a lesson in a classroom environment.
I am waiting for your suggestions.
kellanfarday

Re: How to make your students participate at a online lesson

Unread post by kellanfarday »

I graduated college just last year, and have always been engaged as a student, here is what my professors did to keep us engaged. (I'll only be sharing the tactics that worked, of course)

1. Tell stories (this keeps us waiting what's going to happen next and makes the lesson stick better in the mind)
2. Allow students to give input and feedback on the lessons
3. Being animated during zoom classes
4. Put quizzes after the lecture, which forces us to listen
5. Activities like breakout rooms

https://www.edutopia.org/video/keeping- ... l-learning
Regan@O2C

Unread post by Regan@O2C »

I use Off2Class content as well as the assessments, placement test and homework which really engages my students.
Theove

Unread post by Theove »

Online teaching is difficult for many teachers. I have recently tried these methods in my practice, but personally, they help me a lot.

1. Help the children understand distance learning tools.
If they suddenly do not understand how the webinar platform or training application works, they will simply be distracted by technical problems. Ideally, this is to highlight a separate lesson in order to understand everything at once.

2. Remove distractions

Your main task is to help students focus their attentions exclusively on you. Therefore, whenever possible, conduct your lesson on a white, neutral, uniform background, or just use the background blur function.

3. Comment on your actions

It is important to talk about all your actions that the students do not see. This will help keep the attention of the children.

4. Use different formats of work and ways of presenting educational material.
johanet812

Unread post by johanet812 »

I know it can be tough. As an admin our participation rates have gone down. But what worked for us is to get students into a game, we advised our teachers to make it more fun than just having lectures. We gave them bonus points if they answer questions before other, competing students.
PatrickSt

Unread post by PatrickSt »

Well, as a student can say that somethimes it can be complicated to make us interested. But I think that it depends on the subject because one is more interesting than another. But I believe each subject can be interesting if the professor uses some interactive things. My sociology professor often shows us short videos, or we do some creative activities in groups. Some time ago, we got a task to write a paper on one sociological issue, and https://artscolumbia.org/free-essays/sociology/ helped me with it, and after writing, we had to film a short video, which should have explained it. And we had to guess what was described in the video. It was interesting for each of us, and I think that sociology is the only course that attended the most student from the group.