Use extreme caution BEFORE you send or upload your resume.

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Tiger
Rising Star

Use extreme caution BEFORE you send or upload your resume.

Unread post by Tiger »

This report is a bit scary and it makes sense to me now that people are struggling from the lock down and getting desperate for money... https://www.reddit.com/r/ChinaScamPatro ... send_your/
I suggest every TEFL teacher take a visit to https://reddit.com/r/TEFLscams BEFORE they send off their resumes.
NotAmused

Re: Use extreme caution BEFORE you send or upload your resume.

Unread post by NotAmused »

I use a very basic resume that uses my first name and my last name with a deliberate spelling mistake and only my skype contact and disposable email address. I never give passport scans until I am talking directly with the employer AFTER they made me an offer that I accept. I think I am safe yes?
johanet812

Unread post by johanet812 »

NotAmused wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 19:00 I use a very basic resume that uses my first name and my last name with a deliberate spelling mistake and only my skype contact and disposable email address. I never give passport scans until I am talking directly with the employer AFTER they made me an offer that I accept. I think I am safe yes?
This is always a must! I used to look at resumes for new hires since I'm part of the student admin and some resumes from other countries even have their birthdate in it.
hcb2022

Unread post by hcb2022 »

In the TEFL course I'm taking, we had a webinar on how to write resumes when applying for jobs abroad. We were told that it was a MUST to include your date of birth. I felt pretty skeptical about that. I'm an older teacher-to-be (I've taught German before but not EFL/ESL), and I do not want to be automatically disqualified because of my age.

But if I have to use extreme caution in sending out resumes, if I have to deliberately misspell my name (which is difficult enough to spell as it is), I don't know if I even want to apply anywhere. If sending resumes and applying for jobs is so dangerous, why even bother?

As a result of this post and the responses to it, I'm starting to feel very discouraged about this course of study. I have zero desire to misrepresent anything on my resume. I'd think that misspelling one's own name would disqualify one altogether. I've been a freelance editor, proofreader, and translator since 1985. If I received a resume replete with errors, I'd toss it in the circular file.

Anyway, just my take.