Did anyone else get a 10 month contract instead of a 12 month contract?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Tiger
Rising Star

Did anyone else get a 10 month contract instead of a 12 month contract?

Unread post by Tiger »

I just realized I got screwed out of two months paid vacation. Did anyone else notice this employer trick?
I suggest every TEFL teacher take a visit to https://reddit.com/r/TEFLscams BEFORE they send off their resumes.
Blue Moon
Rising Star

Re: Did anyone else get a 10 month contract instead of a 12 month contract?

Unread post by Blue Moon »

No, but they played another cute trick on me. I work only 36 hours a week instead of 40 by design so they do not have to give me benefits or paid holidays and vacations because I am officially part-time and they refuse to give me more hours. The Chinese are very good at saving money and they know every trick in the book!
Watch your step in China. There is a pile of shit waiting for your foot around every corner that only laowai seem to step in. See https://reddit.com/r/workabroadfraud.
Atlas
Rising Star

Unread post by Atlas »

Guys, this is exactly why you must take your time and actually read your contract in English. This is the best article I ever read about about contracts. I cut and pasted it below from this source:

chinaforeignteachersunion.wordpress.com/2020/10/23/most-expats-including-art-ib-subject-and-tefl-teachers-cheat-themselves-out-of-10000-every-year-by-signing-illegal-employment-contracts/

by Debbie Saunders, (CFTU Volunteer)

Do not sign another another contract until you read our Newsletter no 125 here docdroid.net/9eTuyGK/cftunewsletter125-pdf and you will see 10 different ways your very own recruiter/job agent covertly shaves money out of your contract that you do not even know was meant for you. They further collude privately with your principal who has been working together for years. Together they will convince you that your salary is 16,000 (for example) when it is really more like 22,000 – 24,000 rmb per month) THEY will keep and split the extra money you were supposed to get. And this is just one of the trick they use.. If you think that nice friendly and helpful voice on the phone would never to that to you, Teacher Katherine Cox felt the same disbelief and look what this did to her… chinascampatrol.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/making-your-first-million-in-china-as-a-chinese-school-principal/

Now, remember, there are still 9 other equally sneaky and unethical trick they will us and all along your agent/recruiter will just rush you to sign the one-way contract, and if you find something you don’t like, he/she will tell you something like, “This is the standard contract that everyone signs and if you don’t sign it, you won’t get the job, so just sign it.” That is just one of the top 10 lies recruiters and job agents will tell you that we discussed in newsletters no. 75. You can read all 10 lies here: opnlttr.com/letter/top-10-lies-told-china-job-recruiters-foreign-tefl-teachers-interested-working-china

I will guess you might be pretty shocked or upset right about now and I don’t want to ruin your day, but just so you know, about 80% of every veteran TEFL teacher went through this same deception and we all fixed our problem. And to fix any problem in life, you need factual information. The reason you never heard about this before, is because almost every expat and TEFL teacher blog and forum takes great care to censor posts like this one. They need to make money you see, and if you knew the truth, you would find out how VERY easy it is to apply directly for any job abroad and get a fair contract and pay package. To see what you really should be earning in China, have a read here… opnlttr.com/letter/pandemics-border-closures-provide-silver-lining-dark-cloud-boosting-salaries-60000-world-wide

Also be aware that 70% of all the expat/teaching job ads you see on line are posted by either scam artists and/or identities thieves, Some of those ads were even posted by the moderators of famous forums who in real-life are recruiters and job agents. Do not even send another resume nor your passport scam to anyone abroad until you know your enemy. This is just one of many: chinascamwatch.wordpress.com. You can find the rest of them by visiting these UNCENSORED sites for expats

reddit.com/r/chinascamcentral

chinascampatrol.wordpress.com

reddit.com/r/TEFL_tips_traps_scams

reddit.com/r/ChinaTeachers

reddit.com/r/TEFLScams

Remember, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. Don’t let your dream job turn into a nightmare only because you didn’t take 30 minutes to do a little reading. If you are not earning at least 25,000 rmb monthly in China, you are being exploited and should visit every one of the above links.
Look Before You Leap at https://reddit.com/r/teflscams
Tiger
Rising Star

Unread post by Tiger »

Great post Atlas. Now it makes sense. It's all about saving money for the Chinese employers. This is why those bastards don't want you to see your contract until you get to China! Thanks for sharing.
I suggest every TEFL teacher take a visit to https://reddit.com/r/TEFLscams BEFORE they send off their resumes.