TEFL.net and Spammers: A Final Warning

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

John V55
Top Contributor

TEFL.net and Spammers: A Final Warning

Unread post by John V55 »

Spamming a forum always ends in disaster. It’s why spammers are banned on the vast majority of forums. Spamming is not something that can be hidden, it’s both visible and obvious and so when you get a small anonymous group who all turn up around the same time, taking it in turns to link out to the same anonymous low-quality pages; you’ve got what’s termed a link farm.

Spammers don’t appear by accident, it’s like leaving your house door open, or not having an adequate firewall on your computer; if you invite them in sooner or later you get an unpleasant surprise and that’s what’s happening on TEFL.net.

The purpose of spammers on TEFL.net is not information, it’s to draw in the reader to click on a link, which in turn provide more links in a never ending cycle of information promises. Eventually and with perseverance the reader will discover who is behind it all and it’s the Chinese Foreign Teachers Union. It’s not exactly a well-kept secret and is why the CFTU and the vast majority of its affiliate anonymous pages on ruqqus, wordpress and opnlttr are penalized by Google for low quality spam or scam content.

Any criticism is met not by content debate, but by poster attacks which is the preferred choice of all spammers as they don’t debate, their purpose is to post links. Initially and in the short term post amounts rise, but in the long term all forums which have previously allowed it suffer because eventually the search engines realize that the forum has become a source of low-quality spam links and it loses authority. It also loses posting members and ends up like the spam pages it links to and comes to resemble.

If you look for instance at ‘General Teacher Discussion’ or ‘Jobs Discussion – Asia’ as an example, you will see the amount of recent and similar spam linking threads and posts from the same people. It resembles a tag-team of spammers, one after another, because that’s what they’re here to do.

The only way to stop this is a huge clean out of threads and sorry to say, banning the culprits. They won’t be overly offended, they’ve been banned from every other forum and are probably surprised they’ve not been on this one. Additionally, to stop spam links by making links unclickable as previously when this happened on TEFL.net and they will quickly disappear as they did previously.

These people left alone will wreck the forum lets be under no illusion about that. I’ve done my best to warn of what’s happening, but I’m not about to be a single warning indefinitely. It’s now up to you members of the forum and the owner to do something about it, or accept it.

In opposition to the usual list of spam affiliated sites, here is my list of the most prolific spammers on TEFL.net:

Cricket
Blue Moon
Vagabond
Tiger
Atlas
Prometheus